The Dodgers have now completed their annual Spring move to Camelback Ranch. On Wednesday the club packed up their stuff (see the photo on the top right), and then landed in Arizona and unpacked yesterday (see the photo on the top right). Pics above via @Dodgers and @CamelbackRanch on twitter.
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 2009 the Dodgers signed free agent pitcher Jeff Weaver. This is his second go-around with the club; having played for us from 2004 to 2005.
- Happy Birthday, Eddie Solomon, O'Koyea Dickson, Wally Hood, Buzz Boyle, Harvey Green, Erv Palica, Jim Campanis & Dioner Navarro!
- Theo Mackie at SABR wrties about Clayton Kershaw's insane ability to outperform xFIP.
But while xFIP is undeniably a fantastic statistic, I noticed something strange on one of my many late nights ogling at Clayton Kershaw’s Fangraphs’ page: he has outperformed his xFIP by over half a run in his career. That’s a sample size of 1932 innings and a massive discrepancy—exactly 12 runs per 200 innings, enough to make multiple games’ difference for the Dodgers. And while Kershaw is still the second best pitcher by xFIP since 2002 (as far back as xFIP goes), that’s a far cry from his absurd .58 run lead in ERA. But if Kershaw, a transcendent pitcher who has a Cooperstown plaque locked up before his 30th birthday, can outperform his xFIP so consistently—he’s done so in eight of his last nine seasons—it has to be a skill, right?
- Via SportsDayDFW.com; "Rangers announce bevy of moves in baseball operations, including Eric Gagne as AZL pitching coach."
- Former Dodger Stephen Fife has been invited to the Indians minor league camp; via Paul Hoynes at Cleveland.com.
- Via Toni McAllister at My News LA; "Kidnapping, shooting of former Dodger Josh Ravin’s brother: Suspect gets 13-year prison sentence."
- Can anyone help Kenley out? Per his twitter:
Packing up for camp...bringing the @Xbox gift from the @Dodgers with me. I’m new to this gaming system...any suggestions on games? 🤷🏾♂️ pic.twitter.com/YBjp7jb5ER— Kenley Jansen (@kenleyjansen74) February 8, 2018
- The Dodgers just released their Spring Training television and radio broadcast schedule. Check it out below. Per a Dodgers press release:
AM 570 LA Sports’ Spring Training Dodgers programming will once again include Dodger Talk, which will air each weeknight hosted by David Vassegh and will showcase all the latest Dodgers news, key highlights and exclusive interviews with Dodger players and coaches. Vassegh will be on-site in Glendale, Arizona providing daily analysis, special reports and exclusive interviews throughout Spring Training to other AM 570 LA Sports shows including Dodgers pre-game with Tim Cates, Lunchtime with Roggin & Rodney (noon-2 p.m.) and the Petros & Money Show (2 p.m.-7 p.m.).
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *