Corey Seager knows how to celebrate his birthday with style. Yesterday afternoon against the Giants, on his 23rd birthday, he launched his fifth home run of the young season in the first inning of the game. The knock is the 19th time in Dodger history that a player hit a round-tripper on his birthday, and the first time it's been done since Matt Kemp in 2014. As for the rest of the game, Julio Urias was impressive in his first outing of the year and the Dodgers offense finally rallied to win the game in the 10th inning. Per Chris Haft and Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"The way that we've sort of been inconsistent with the different facets of the game and to be one game under .500, I think we're in a good place," said Dodgers manager Dave Roberts. "This was a hard-fought series. They celebrated their wins over us and to be two games down in the loss column and salvage a split, to see the life we had in the last inning, this was a big win for us."Photo above via Justin Turner on twitter. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1900 Brooklyn Superbas outfielder Fielder Jones becomes the first modern day Dodger player to hit a grand slam. It was accomplished at Brooklyn's Washington Park. In 1982 the Dodgers traded Leo Hernandez to Baltimore for professional pinch-hitter Jose Morales. In 1985 Fernando Valenzuela set a major league record by extending his consecutive scoreless innings streak at the start of the season to 41 frames when he blanks San Diego for eight innings. The Padres would then score off Fernando in the ninth inning when Tony Gwynn hit a game winning homer to defeat the Dodgers, 1-0.
- Happy Birthday, Jim Poole!
- Video: Chase Utley returns to UCLA, where he played from 1998-2000, for a surprise visit to the current Bruin baseball team. (video link)
- Video: Alanna Rizzo speaks with Julio Urias after allowing one run in 5 2-3 innings pitched in the Dodgers extra-innings win over the Giants on Thursday. (video link)
- Per Jorge L. Ortiz at USA Today; "Dodgers' Brandon McCarthy recovers after battle with 'the yips'"
“I think in some ways the yips probably came about a little bit because he’s so thoughtful,’’ Hershiser said of McCarthy. “What we do on the mound sometimes is a little bit more unconscious than it is conscious. You’re just thinking too much and it gets in the way of what you can do naturally as an athlete.’’
- Topps current 2017 Throwback Thursday online exclusive set features six of the greatest #1 overall MLB Draft picks on the 1990 Topps Football card design, and it includes current Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Unfortunately, it features him in an Marlins uniform - the team that drafted him in 2000. See it on the right. Go here to order the set.
- Per Filip Bondy at the NY Times; "At Jackie Robinson Museum, a Timeless Mission Will Live On."
“Mom turns 95 in July, and this is her birthday present,” Sharon Robinson said about her mother, Rachel. “This is what she wanted for his legacy, to show that struggle is a process. We knew him in the family not as a baseball player, but as an activist.”
- Well, his stay in Dodger Blue didn't last long. Per Steve Adams at MLB Trade Rumors; "Marlins Claim Joe Gunkel."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *