Installation Guide SAP Fiori Front-end Server
In order to run SAP Fiori apps, you need to setup Your SAP Fiori system landscape. SAP Fiori apps require front-end components to host the web-based user interface and the connection to the back end and back-end components to provide the business data.
In an on premise scenario, the front-end components run on a front-end server, such as SAP Fiori Front-end Server, which is based on a NetWeaver Applications Server ABAP. After the installation, configuration of the SAP Fiori Front-end Server is required.
1 Plan the SAP Fiori System Landscape
SAP Fiori Front-End Server allows various deployment options. In general you have two options to setup the SAP Fiori Front-end Server to deploy the front-end server into an (existing) SAP landscape:
- Hub deployment: A dedicated AS ABAP based front-end server is deployed “in front of” the Business Suite or S/4HANA backend system.
- Embedded deployment: The front-end server is deployed into the (existing) AS ABAP of a Business Suite or S/4HANA backend system.
Each option has both advantages and drawbacks. It is therefore up to the customers to decide, which deployment option for SAP Fiori Front-End Server suits best their IT and business needs.
In general hub deployment is the recommended option, esp. in multi-backend scenarios. It offers the following advantages:
- Decoupling the lifecycle of the UI apps from the back end. This allows faster iterations for the UI and changes to the UI are possible without having development authorizations in the back end
- Single point of maintenance for UI issues, such as browser support and updated versions of SAPUI5 libraries
- Central place for theming and branding SAP Fiori apps
For further information, including mobile and multi-backend scenarios, see Landscape Deployment Recommendations for SAP Fiori Front-End Server and the blog SAP Gateway deployment options in a nutshell.
Older Front-end Server deployment options
Older SAP Fiori apps allow the use of the SAP User Interface Add-On for SAP NetWeaver, based on NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.31. The SAP UI Add-on is available in version 1.0 and 2.0. A successor version is not planned. SAP UI Add-on 1.0 can be upgraded to FES 2.0, UI Add-on 2.0 can be migrated to FES 2.0.
For more information, see documentation User Interface Add-On for SAP NetWeaver and Setup of SAP Fiori System Landscape for SAP Business Suite.
From NW AS ABAP 7.40 on, the components of SAP UI Add-on are included into AS ABAP. Some of the older Fiori Apps allow the usage of NW AS ABAP 7.40 without FES 2.0 as prerequisite. NW AS ABAP can be migrated to FES 2.0 or upgraded to FES 3.0.
2 SAP Fiori Front-end Server
SAP Fiori front-end server is an add-on product for NetWeaver AS ABAP. It contains all the infrastructure components needed to run SAP Fiori apps in the right stack definition for Fiori apps. These components are:
- User Interface Technology – including the SAPUI5 library and SAP Fiori launchpad
- SAP Gateway Foundation – for communication between front-end and backe-end
- SAP Fiori app implementation foundation (SAPUIFT) – administrative tools for configuration tasks
- UI for Basis Applications – “SAP Fiori Apps for SAP NetWeaver” (only available with SAP NetWeaver 7.5 or higher).
For more information about User Interface Technology and SAP Gateway, see http://help.sap.com/netweaver and choose your product version (direct link to version 7.51: SAPUI5 and Gateway Foundation).
SAP Fiori app implementation foundation provides automated services activation in AS ABAP. It activates OData services (/IWFND/MAINT_SERVICE) and ICF nodes (SICF). For more information about SAP Fiori app implementation foundation (SAPUIFT), see SAP Note 2219596.
For more information about Fiori Front-end Server, see http://help.sap.com/fiori_implementation.
SAP Fiori apps are delivered separately as SAP Business Suite or S/4HANA product-specific UI add-on products, which must be additionally installed on the front-end server. For more information about Fiori apps, see http://help.sap.com/nw751abap à Application Help à Function-Oriented View à SAP Fiori Apps for SAP NetWeaver (direct link to version 7.51).
2.1 SAP Web Dispatcher
You may also consider to install SAP Web Dispatcher as a reverse proxy or load balancer in front of Fiori Front-end Server. For more information about SAP Web Dispatcher, see Installing SAP Web Dispatcher and SAP note 908097.
2.2 SAP Fiori Front-end Server 2.0
SAP Fiori front-end server 2.0 is available for three NetWeaver Application Server ABAP versions: AS ABAP 7.50 or AS ABAP 7.40 or AS ABAP 7.31. The instance for 7.31 is not recommended if higher versions of AS ABAP are feasible. FES 2.0 contains:
- Software component version USER INTERFACE TECHNOLOGY 7.50 (or UI Add-on 2.0 for NW 7.31)
- Software component version SAP NW GATEWAY FOUNDATION 7.40 or 7.50 (depending on AS ABAP) or Gateway 2.0 for instance NW 7.31
- SAP Fiori app implementation foundation (software component version SAPUIFT 100)
- Software component version UI FOR BASIS APPLICATIONS 100 (only for AS ABAP 7.50)
For more information about SAP Fiori front-end server 2.0, see SAP Note 2219596.
2.3 SAP Fiori Front-end Server 3.0
SAP Fiori front-end server 3.0 is available for three different NetWeaver Application Server ABAP versions: AS ABAP 7.51 or AS ABAP 7.50 or AS ABAP 7.40. It contains:
- Always software component version USER INTERFACE TECHNOLOGY 7.51)
- Software component version SAP NW GATEWAY FOUNDATION 7.40, 7.50 or 7.51 (depending on AS ABAP)
- SAP Fiori app implementation foundation (software component version SAPUIFT 100)
- Software component version UI FOR BASIS APPLICATIONS 200
For more information about SAP Fiori front-end server 3.0, see SAP Note 2355644
Remark: SAP Fiori front-end server 3.0 provides the technology for SAP Fiori 2.0. SAP Fiori 2.0 includes a new visual theme called SAP Belize.
3 Planning an Installation or UPDATE with SAP Maintenance Planner
SAP Solution Manager’s cloud-based Maintenance Planner enables easy and efficient planning of all changes in your SAP system landscape. It is the successor of Maintenance Optimizer, Landscape Planner, and Landscape Management Database (LMDB) Product System Editor and combines their functionalities and is mandatory for planning SAP S/4HANA and SAP NetWeaver 7.5+ based systems. Maintenance Planner consolidates critical tasks such as definition of product maintenance dependencies, generation of a stack configuration file, and selection of archives in a single tool.
For more information, see https://support.sap.com/solution-manager/processes/maintenance-management/maintenance-planner.html
With the maintenance planner, you can:
- Get an overview of the system landscape, including system dependencies, before planning a change.
- Determine the impact of a system change on your landscape, with features like product maintenance dependency.
- Download the stack XML that contains all the planned changes, and put the required files in a download basket.
- It offers integrated processes for installation of SAP Fiori Apps and conversion to SAP S/4HANA
3.1 Planning with the Maintenance Planner
The overall process of planning an installation or update is the following:
- In Maintenance Planner, select existing system (embedded deployment) or plan installation of a new system (hub deployment).
- Optional: Upload system data to the Customer Profile through SLD/LMDB to calculate further Add-on installations, Updates, upgrades, or conversion of existing systems.
- Choose target product version and Support package stack for all involved systems.
- Generate and download consolidated stack.xml and archives (download basket) for front-end server and optional together with “sl-toolset”. SL-toolset contains Software Provisioning Manager (SWPM) and Software Update Manager (SUM).
- Use stack.xml for installation with Software Provisioning Manager or for updates and add-on installation (such as FES on top of an existing AS ABAP) Software Update Manager.
Access Maintenance Planner directly.
3.2 Planning Installation of SAP Fiori Apps with Maintenance Planner
For more information about planning and installing Fiori Apps with Maintenance Planner, see blog Simplified Installation of SAP Fiori Apps with Maintenance Planner.
4 Install or Update SAP Fiori Front-end Server
For installing or updating SAP Fiori Front-end Server you need to download the Software Logistics Toolset (SL Toolset) first. Installation requires the Software Provisioning Manager of SL toolset
For more information about installation in general, see http://service.sap.com/instguides and the SAP NetWeaver Guide Finder. For more information about SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP, see http://help.sap.com/nw_platform
4.1 Software Logistics Toolset (SL Toolset)
The SL Toolset (https://support.sap.com/sltoolset) contains the Software Provisioning Manager (SWPM) for Installation of a new AS ABAP and Software Update Manager (SUM) for installing the SAP Fiori Front-end Server-Add-on, or updating an existing FES-system.
We recommend that you always download the latest versions of the SL tools with the latest available SPS, as they contain the latest corrections and are updated regularly. Please note that you can only download the SL tools, but not the SL Toolset as such.
4.1.1 Installation with Software Provisioning Manager and Installation Guides
Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 is the successor of the product- and release-specific delivery of provisioning tools. It provides the latest SAPinst version with software provisioning services for several products and releases for all platforms.
Software provisioning manager covers the use cases system installation, system copy, migration and rename and is thus the tool for installing the require AS ABAP for SAP Fiori Front-end Server
The installation guides for the different AS ABAP database and operating system platforms can be found at: https://support.sap.com/sltoolset à System Provisioning“ à „Installation Option“
4.1.2 Add-On Installation with Software Update Manager and Guides
The Software Update Manager is a multi-purpose tool that supports various processes, such as performing a release upgrade, installing enhancement packages, applying support package stacks, installing add-ons such as SAP Fiori Front-end Server, or updating single components.
Overview on SUM procedure
- Plan your maintenance activity (Maintenance Planner)
- Download the SUM and the documentation from http://support.sap.com/sltoolset
- Extract the archive to a folder on the primary application server (central instance) of your SAP system
- Update SAP Host Agent to latest patch level; configure SAP Host Agent (see guide);
- Connect from your local PC via browser
- Configure the SUM, especially point to the stack.xml as result of Maintenance Optimizer Transaction
- Execute the maintenance on your system (Note: Before the upgrade, installation of additional SAP Notes listed in the CHECKS.LOG file might be required)
Documentation about installing FES as add-on to an existing AS ABAP or updating or upgrading Fiori Front-end Server is available in the Software Update Manager Guide: https://support.sap.com/sltoolset à „System Maintenance“ à „Software Update Manager (SUM) 1.0.
4.1.3 SAP Add-On Installation Tool (SAINT)
SAP Add-On Installation Tool (transaction SAINT) is the previous Add-on installation process for AS ABAP. It does not support stack.xml definition and dependencies. Technically it is possible to import Add-ons such as FES with SAP Add-On Installation Tool (transaction SAINT), but it is not recommended, or it is recommended to update with stack.xml definition and SUM during the next update. For more information see http://help.sap.com/spmanager à SAP Add-On Installation Tool.
Before installing individual apps in your SAP Fiori system landscape, SAP Fiori Front-end Server has to be configured. Which tasks are relevant depends on your system landscape and the types of app that you want to implement. For more information, see http://help.sap.com/fiori_implementation à Configuration.
4.3 Product Availability Matrix (PAM)
The Product Availability Matrix (PAM) is the single point of information for SAP Fiori Front-end Server and its contained components, such as end of maintenance dates, upgrade paths, landscapes, related product versions and technical release information (e.g. operating systems).
4.4 Maintenance Strategy
For information on the maintenance duration, refer to the maintenance strategy and SAP Note 2217489.
4.5 Additional Links
For information on products, which run on SAP Fiori front-end server please, see www.sap.com/fiori.1
The post Sap Fiori Front-end Server Installation Guide appeared first on SAP Blogs.