This Minisode Monday, we try an exercise designed to make you consider the importance of perspective and useful illusions: how does your pet see the world?The Cheat Sheet:
- As we've learned from conversations with David Eagleman, Isaac Lidsky, and Jason Silva, reality differs by how it is perceived.
- If that sounds like woo-woo nonsense, try to consider how the world with which you interact every day is experienced by others.
- If you were to gain the magical ability to ask a dog, a cat, and a dust mite to describe the world around them, what kind of answers would you expect?
- The dog sees in black and white. The cat would strongly advocate for the safety of tiny boxes and high places. The dust mite's entire world might be the inside of your mattress -- something with which you interact every day, but have probably never seen (unless you really need a new mattress).
- The version of the world you would describe back to them would be just as varied, biased, flawed, and seemingly inaccurate.
- Though biased and flawed, places where our realities -- constructed by our senses and perceptions -- overlap create a useful illusion that keeps us from constantly running into each other. Still, we need to remember that our reality is not a hundred percent of someone else's reality.
- Instead of rejecting someone else's reality because it doesn't match your experience, try adopting their perspective to understand their differences. Start bending your own reality instead of trying to bend the reality of others to fit your fiction.
- To learn more about social dynamics and productivity hacks, take the Art of Charm Challenge by clicking here, or text AOC to 38470.
- Also be sure to check out our Social Capital Intensive here!
- Let us know about how you put today's Minisode Monday into practice! Tweet with @TheArtofCharm in your response or write to Jordan directly: [email protected] (he actually reads everything)!
Full show notes at https://theartofcharm.com/podcast-episodes/minisode-monday-71-how-does-your-pet-see-the-world/
Find out more about the team who makes The Art of Charm podcast here!
Take the Art of Charm Challenge by clicking here, or text AOC to 38470. We'll take you step by step to becoming better at making personal and professional connections, becoming a better networker, increasing your personal social capital and charisma. This is for both men and women!
Does your business have an Internet presence? Now save a whopping 50% on new webhosting packages here with HostGator by using coupon code CHARM!
Listen to The Art of Charm, Forbes Network, and hundreds of your favorite podcasts with the free PodcastOne app (on iOS and Android) here!
HELP US SPREAD THE WORD!
If you dig the show, please subscribe in iTunes and write us a review! This is what helps us stand out from the crowd and help people find the credible advice they need.
Review the show in iTunes! We rely on it! http://www.theartofcharm.com/mobilereview