How to create a Blogger template from scratch
PART 1 : Backing up your content / Backing up your template / creating a test blog / importing saved content into a new blog
Finding the perfect template for your blogger blog can be a daunting task. You may find many good blogs with good features but there is always something not to your liking or that you think you can improve. In this guide I will guide you step by step through the process of creating your own perfect and customized blogger template from scratch
In Part One I will show you how to back up your blog content and create a test blog to test your designs safely.
Backing up your content
It is important to backup your content not only just in case you mess up your template unrecoverable but it is also essential in the case that you lose access to your blogger account or get hacked.
Backing up your blog posts
- Go to your blogger menu
- Select the settings option and select other
- Select the "backup content"
- Select save to computer.
Blogger will now save all you blogger posts to a file on your computer
You have successfully backed up your blogs content.
Backing up your blogger template
In this part you will be backing up your template design so you can always revert back to the saved design in the case that you have messed up your template or layout.
- Go to your blogger menu and select template
- Select backup/restore
- Select download full template
Blogger will now save your template and layout to a file on your computer
Congratulations you have successfully backed up your blog content and blogger template.
How to create a test blog
Now we will setup a test blog for you to test your templates and designs. We will import your blog content into your test blog, but we will make the blog hidden and private so that no one can peek at your works in progress and so that search engines dont index it.
- Click on my blogs in your blogger menu and select create a new blog
- Select a name for your test blog (something simple like test blog will do)
- Choose a random domain for your test blog the address doesn't matter much since it is not intended to be viewed by anyone
- Select create blog
Your test blog has now been created
Making your blog private
- Go to to the blogger menu of your test blog and select settings
- Now click the privacy option "edit"
- Make both options no
This will remove your test blog from the blogger index and will prevent search engines from indexing your blog
- Select save to apply the changes
- Scroll down to permissions and select blog readers
- click save changes
Your blog is now private and no one else can read or view it.
Importing your blogger content into your new blog.
Now I will show you how to import your saved blogger content (see above how to backup your content) into your newly created blog.
- From your blogger menu select settings and then click other
- Select import content
- Select import from computer
- Complete the captcha if it is asked
- Make sure the option the publish all posts is checked.
- Browse to the saved blog file and click open
(it may take some time to load depending on the amount of posts you have backed up
When the upload has been successfully completed all your blog post should be automatically published on your new blog.
- Click the posts option to check after loading has completed. All the imported content should now show there,
You have successfully imported your content into your new blog
This brings us to the end of Part 1 of how to create a blogger template from scratch.
PART 2 : The Basic HTML / Creating a blank template and implementing the minimum amount of code to create a working blog
Click here for part 2