Stan Wawrinka recently grabbed the headline after he defeated world number one Novak Djokovic to win his first US Open title.
Here are some of the facts you probably don’t know about this news star.
- Wawrinka was born in Switzerland to a German father and Swiss mother. He holds dual Swiss-German citizenship.
- Wawrinka started playing international junior events at age 14 and entered the satellite circuit the following year.
- He dropped out of school at the age of 15 to pursue tennis full-time.
- Wawrinka turned professional in 2002 at the age of 17.
- He is known for his fast serve which has reached as high as 232 kilometres per hour (144 mph).
- He won a gold medal in men’s doubles alongside the great Roger Federer at the 2008 Summer Olympics.
- He married former model Ilham Vuilloud in 2009. However, the couple separated for a brief period in 2011.
- He played in the longest doubles match in history at the 2013 Davis Cup, partnering with Marco Chiudinelli.
- In 2014, he requested ATP for a formal change in his name from Stanislas Wawrinka to Stan Wawrinka.
- He won the 2015 French Open, 10 years after his Grand Slam debut at the 2005 French Open.
For all the latest news and updates from India and across the globe, follow us on @NewsWorldIN on Twitter and Ctrl+Click or tap to follow the link" href="https://www.facebook.com/newsworldin/" target="_blank" data-saferedirecturl="https://www.google.com/url?hl=en-GB&q=https://www.facebook.com/newsworldin/&source=gmail&ust=1473819657040000&usg=AFQjCNHupJPvMWBdOYL_fJz3ATgiFEZzXA">News World India on Facebook
This post first appeared on Latest India News, Breaking News Live, Current Hea, please read the originial post: here