Germany’s Angelique Kerber recently grabbed the limelight after she clinched a thrilling win over Czech Karolina Pliskova in the US Open final.
Here are some of the facts about the new US open champion:
- Angelique Kerber was born in Bremen, to a Polish father and a German mother.
- She started playing tennis at age three and eventually joined the junior circuit.
- Angelique Kerber made her debut in professional tennis at the age of 15.
- Kerber has won eight singles titles, which includes a title each on every surface on the WTA tour.
- She broke into the Top 100 with a defeat of Marion Bartoli in 2003
- She achieved a career-high ranking of world No. 1 on September 12, 2016, becoming the twenty second and oldest player to achieve the number one ranking for the first time.
- She is Known for her aggressive counter-punching all-court game and left-handed shots.
- Kerber endorses Adidas clothes and Yonex racquets. In early 2015, she became an ambassador of the German car manufacturer Porsche
- At the Olympic Games in Rio, Kerber lost to Mónica Puig in finals to settle for silver.
- Kerber is the first German to win the women’s title at the Australian Open since Steffi Graf in 1994.
For all the latest news and updates from India and across the globe, follow us on @NewsWorldIN on Twitter and Ctrl+Click or tap to follow the link" href="https://www.facebook.com/newsworldin/" target="_blank" data-saferedirecturl="https://www.google.com/url?hl=en-GB&q=https://www.facebook.com/newsworldin/&source=gmail&ust=1473819657040000&usg=AFQjCNHupJPvMWBdOYL_fJz3ATgiFEZzXA">News World India on Facebook
This post first appeared on Latest India News, Breaking News Live, Current Hea, please read the originial post: here