A survey of 1,000 Campers and caravanners by CORGI HomePlan revealed that many campers are taking risks they would not take at home when it comes to their use of gas cookers, barbecues and heaters. All of these items can emit deadly Carbon Monoxide, even when flames are extinguished.
Take a look at some of the key research findings below.
- 1 in 4 campers keep warm inside a tent with BBQs, gas stoves or outside heaters
- 1 in 2 wrongly believed that a tent with an open door or tent porch counted as well ventilated
- 1 in 5 would bring a BBQ inside their tent when it started to rain (Ed: Seriously?!)
CORGI HomePlan’s survey revealed that campers are applying different gas safety standards when Camping to the standards they adhere to at home. Almost 63% have a CO alarm in their home, in contrast to just 19% who take one on a camping holiday.
The increasing popularity of glamping may account for the surge in ignorance in carbon monoxide. Google recently reported a 118% year-on-year rise in searches for glamping, against a staycation climate that saw 7.3 million holidaying in the UK in the first quarter of 2016, up 10 per cent on the same period in 2015, according to Visit England.
So if you are going camping, the advice is clear – understand the risks of using gas cookers, heaters and BBQs when camping and take the necessary precautions. Here at Camping with Style, we always advise the use of a portable Carbon Monoxide alarm for exactly this reason.
To find out how to camp safely, see CORGI’s top tips for camping safely.
The post CORGI Research Shows Campers Could Be Risking Their Lives appeared first on Camping with Style Active Travel & Adventure Blogs.