“When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.” (Acts 4:13)
The Apostles, Peter and John; carried an anointing that was fresh and obvious to everyone! Their behavior, boldness and supernatural influence were tangible and appeared as rich evidence that they had been with Jesus. Their courage and character looked like Jesus! Their impact in ministry lifted them beyond their education or their status in society. Something was visible… and that will always make the religious culture a bit nervous.
Jesus said, “The Spirit of the Lord is on Me, because He has anointed (chrio) Me…” (Luke 4:18)
The Greek word anointed, ‘chrio’, means to smear or rub with oil… and as you could imagine, there are wonderful things produced when the Holy Spirit anoints human flesh. There is something in the experience of Jesus, a powerful picture that is prophetic… conveying the Father’s heart and purpose for our lives. The common English expression, “to rub off”, means to have an effect through close association or contact – so as to make similar. For example, if you brush up against a freshly painted door, wet paint will rub off on you… the same color and texture will show up! Jesus’ attributes and anointing rubbed off onto His disciples, and in like manner; they show up on us when we fellowship with the Holy Spirit. The close contact with Him changes our perceptions and our boldness.
God desires to get up close and personal with you. When you encounter Christ, the Holy Spirit’s power rubs off on your life in such a way that others witness it and hunger for a similar relationship with God. The anointing is not a commodity; it is not a thing. It is the Person of the Holy Spirit revealing Himself in and through you. I want to encourage you, that the spiritual hunger that you have right now for the invisible, undefinable “more of God”, will change you and transform your outer man! And that, truly is the richest gift of the Spirit.
4 More Ways to Receive a Fresh Anointing
1. A Fresh Encounter with God Through His Word: The Bible (Heb. 4:12)(Jms. 1:21-25)
- (2 Cor. 3:18) ‘And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s Glory, are being transformed into His image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.’
- The Greek word translated ‘contemplate’ in this verse, means to look into a mirror. In context, Paul is saying that we don’t have a blinded understanding—we have the fullness of the Gospel that reveals Jesus. It is on God’s heart that you encounter Him in the Bible, catching a fresh revelation of Who He is and see mirrored there who you are in the process of becoming. When you do, you experience transformation, you encounter God and you receive a fresh touch from Him.
2. Make Room for More: Surrender (Heb. 12:1)
- (2 Tim. 2:20-21) ‘In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.’
- The ‘latter’ that Paul referred to was false teaching and ungodly talk. What is that thing that the Holy Spirit is putting His finger on in your life right now and He is saying, ‘It’s time for that to go’. Maybe it is fear or intimidation, or lack of self worth. Perhaps you need to release bitterness and forgive someone. Maybe it is an area of struggle or temptation, and you need to bring it into the light and share what is going on with someone you can trust. It could be distractions that are keeping you from focusing on God. Sometimes in order to be filled and receive more, we need to make room… we need to be cleansed and separate from some stuff.
3. Close Association with Others who are Anointed: Fellowship (Heb. 10:23-25)
- (Eph. 4:16) ‘…from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth to the body for the edifying of itself in love.’
- What is ‘rubbing off’ onto you from the people who are around your life? What is ‘rubbing off’ from you onto others? If possible, get around people who have the Presence of God on their lives and who carry the integrity, attributes, gifts and spiritual DNA that God has called you to have on your own life. Learn from them, receive from them, and study them and what they do.
4. Receive a Fresh Anointing Through Prayer: Ask, Seek and Knock (Mt. 7:7)(1 Tim. 2:1-4)
- Praying and receiving prayer are 2 of the most effective ways for you to receive a fresh touch of the Holy Spirit’s anointing. Recently I received prayer with some leaders who anointed me with oil for healing (Jms. 5:14). It was powerful and transformed my thinking toward that which seemed to hinder my faith. The fragrance of the oil lasted all day and when I remind myself of that moment I still feel the Presence of the Holy Spirit. Sometimes the very act of humbling yourself and confessing to God and others your need, makes all the difference in our spiritual battles.
Declare with me…”I’m hungry for more of You, God – and I embrace Your anointing!”
That is all it takes to receive a fresh touch of the Holy Spirit in your life!
&source=shareaholic" rel="nofollow" class="external" title="Tweet This!">Tweet This!
" rel="nofollow" class="external" title="Post this to Identica">Post this to Identica
This post first appeared on Christian Revival, Kingdom Of God, Jesus Ministry,, please read the originial post: here