One of the most priceless things Jesus gave us while on earth was a perfect model for how to live the Christian life. He did not only tell us how to live; He also showed us how to.
Though Jesus was God manifested in the flesh, He ministered on earth as a servant. He was tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin (Hebrews 4:15). That means He was clothed in the likeness of human flesh, He was tempted as we are, yet He never succumbed to sin.
So Jesus is the perfect model for us on how to live a Victorious Christian life. Fortunately for us, we have a reliable record of many of the things He did while on earth. They have been recorded in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John’s records of the gospel.
These records of the gospel are priceless to us because we are followers of Jesus, and those books document the spiritual disciplines of Christ while on earth. Those disciplines enabled Him to live as a servant in human flesh and to be tempted across the board yet without sin.
If we conscientiously incorporate the Things Jesus did into our life, we will be able to live a victorious Christian life as well.
Five Things Jesus Did While on Earth
1. He was baptized. When He came to be baptized by John the Baptist, John tried to prevent Him from doing so. “I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?” John asked (Matthew 3:14).
As followers of Jesus we too should submit to water baptism. This is one way we openly identify with Christ.
2. He faithfully went to the house of God. Luke records a day Jesus entered the synagogue during the days of His pubic ministry. And here is what Luke says about Jesus: “As his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day….” (Luke 4:16).
Similarly, as followers of Christ, it should become our custom to faithfully go to the house of God.
3. He exercised faith in God. Coming to a fig tree and finding nothing on it, He cursed that tree by faith. The disciples were amazed when they saw the tree wither and die (Matthew 21:20).
Jesus responded by calling on them to exercise faith in God. “Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ it will happen,” Jesus said (verse 21).
4. He prayed to God. At times He prayed to God all night long (Luke 6:12).
Similarly, Jesus taught that we should always pray and never give up (Luke 18:1).
5. He spoke according the Word of God. Throughout His public ministry, Jesus answered His critics in accordance with the Word. Even when the devil tempted Him, He responded to each temptation by saying “it is written….” Matthew 4:4,7,10).
As followers of Christ, we must become students of the Word of God. That’s the only way we can speak in accordance with the Word of God as Jesus did. “Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God,” Peter writes (1 Peter 4:11, NASB).
These five things Jesus did during His public ministry are a recipe for a victorious Christian life. How many of them do you conscientiously practice in your life?
Copyright © 2019 by Frank King. All rights reserved.