You have heard of the word “remnant.” Some people are called “remnant Believers
.” There are “remnant churches.” Perhaps you know of some or attend one. I often say that I do “radio for the Remnant
I began to pay more attention to the term when I got some e-mails. Here is a sample from Benjamin:
“Jan, I feel the remnant is getting smaller every day as the time approaches for the Lord’s return. The world seems to be getting darker and more evil. I know I am not alone as a member of the Body of Christ but at times it is easy to feel isolated.”
Then Patrice wrote: “I just read your print newsletter and want to thank you for your article on the remnant church. You hit the nail on the head and everything you write about that church I am experiencing. I feel so alone and no one wants to discuss events of the day and certainly not Bible prophecy. If I mention these things they shudder.
“My husband and I are visiting churches and have not found one that addresses these issues. Some in these churches have gotten angry and asked that I not come back. I feel like crying when I leave. I try to sit there but wonder why they never talk about what is going on, what’s happening in Israel, or the intensifying birth pangs.”
Then Carolyn wrote: “My church has no excitement about prophetic fulfillment applicable for today. When I bring up what I learn on your broadcast, I am put down. I am so lonely for like-minded believers.”
Based on a lot of interactions including people at my annual conference, I have concluded this about “the remnant.”
- It is made up of people longing for a solid church and a pulpit that will address issues of the day as well as the nearness of the Lord’s return. The remnant wants a church that will not fear offending with the truth and that will confront apostasy.
- Remnant believers have offended friends and family simply by telling them the truth of our times or for sharing information that is relevant to our times. This will often bring on mocking and scoffing. At the least, it results in irritated indifference. This doesn’t daunt a remnant believer and such a tragic response doesn’t keep them quiet!
- Enthusiastic remnant believers will travel across town or across the country to attend events that present information about which the church is silent.
- Remnant believers often feel isolated and misunderstood even though they have the truth and the naysayers are clueless!
- Members of the remnant church see our times darkening but remain enthusiastic that this is but a herald of His coming — not signs of doom and gloom.
- When a remnant believer finds someone who is a kindred spirit it is like discovering a gold mine!
- Such believers often had a very solid church but in many cases in went haywire. A little leaven came in and ruined the whole loaf. They then begin a long journey of searching for a new church which can take years.
- Very often these believers approached their church leadership to talk to them about these things but they are most often shut out.
Some who are reading this see themselves in several of the above-mentioned bullet points! And, you fully identify with Benjamin, Patrice, or Carolyn.
People who make quilts use a wide variety of mismatched remnants. Such professionals discard sections of fabric from garments that were no longer usable but they were then sewn into a unbelievably elegant quilt! The tossed aside remnant became an object of creativity and beauty!
If you are a remnant believer, take heart and remember that you, too, are a creative and colorful quilt. Eternity may reveal that you broke through to more people than you thought. And remember that such mocking and scoffing are fulfilling end-time prophecies as well. Hang on and don’t grow weary in your well doing!
We are living in the most significant time in history and the most prophecy-fulfilling days, yet we are in the days with the least amount of interest. People are perishing for a lack of knowledge (Hosea 4:6). Who will tell them if you don’t?
Our assignment is to be “watchmen” (Ezekiel 33). We’re to be sounding an alarm. Trouble is ahead. There is a new urgency and a renewed reminder that time is short.
The nations of the world seemed moved, as though by a hidden hand, into exactly the right positions on a global chess board. Amazing things are happening before our eyes.
So, remnant believers, let’s not be silent. Go tell it on the mountains. The King is coming, perhaps today!