The former Lions GM tried—and failed—to move out of the third overall pick in 2002.
- The legend of Matt Millen continues. The latest story about Milen’s draft escapades comes from MMQB’s Peter King, who was in the Dallas Cowboys’ war room when the Lions came calling in 2002:
I’ll never forget being in the Cowboys draft room an hour before the draft started. Phone rang. Jerry Jones picked it up. Detroit GM Matt Millen on the line. Wanted an offer, any offer, for the third pick in the draft. Not enthusiastic about Joey Harrington, from the sound of the phone call. Jones didn’t want the pick, nor the quarterback. Harrington went third, to Detroit. Bad idea. Oh, my favorite player not picked in the 261-man draft: James Harrison.
- The Lions Wire checked in on five NFL Draft prospects who are either trending up or down in the past week.
- Jerry Mallory’s Draft Preview Podcast is up. He makes 21 predictions for the 2017 NFL Draft:
- Today’s Mock Draft of the Day comes from Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press (Warning: slideshow). Birkett chooses linebacker Jarrad Davis for the Lions with the 21st overall pick.
- Defensive line prospect Caleb Brantley’s stock just plummeted:
BREAKING: Former #Gators DL Caleb Brantley facing misdemeanor charge for allegedly knocking a woman unconscious that "displaced a tooth." pic.twitter.com/R3SsT3UbEc— Patrick Pinak (@pinakk12) April 23, 2017
- NFL.com has a video ranking second-year offensive tackles. They rank Lions Taylor Decker at No. 4, pointing out that Decker only allowed 1.5 sacks over the final 12 games of the season.
- Bob Quinn said, as the roster currently stands, Dwayne Washington, Jace Billingsley and TJ Jones are in competition for the kick and punt return jobs.
- Should the Lions take a tight end at some point during this week’s draft? This graphic suggests so:
PFF overall grades for starting TEs in the NFC North last season. pic.twitter.com/IYs3BhWSDV— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) April 22, 2017