As we reach the end of the work week, it has been an eerily quiet five days for the Detroit Lions. After coming out of the gate like a cannon in free agency, Detroit has yet to sign a player since stealing T.J. Lang out from underneath the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday morning. (Technically, the Lions re-signed Don Muhlbach on Wednesday, but that transaction had been originally reported weeks ago).
With limited cap space remaining, it’s likely that Detroit’s remaining moves will be on a much smaller scale than their first week of acquisitions. The second and third waves of free agency move slower, and often times, this results in teams re-signing some of their own players who have yet to catch on elsewhere. Here is the list of Lions free agents who have yet to sign with another team as of Thursday night:
QB Dan Orlovsky
RB Joique Bell
WR Anquan Boldin
TE Clay Harbor
TE Matthew Mulligan
TE Tim Wright
G Garrett Reynolds
DE Devin Taylor
DE Armonty Bryant
DT Tyrunn Walker
LB Jonathan Bostic
LB Josh Bynes
CB Asa Jackson
CB Crezdon Butler
S Rafael Bush
So today’s Question of the Day is:
Which of those free agents should the Detroit Lions re-sign?
My answers: There are five players I’d like the Lions to bring back:
- Anquan Boldin - No brainer. Fills a huge need on offense and played above his contract last year.
- Tim Wright - Can likely be had for cheap. Worth giving an invitation to training camp to see if he’s fully recovered from ACL injury and provide depth at a weak position.
- Armonty Bryant - Though injury and suspension limited his availability in 2016, Bryant still managed 3.0 sacks in five games. Detroit is desperate for some pass rush, and Bryant will likely come cheap.
- Jonathan Bostic - Lions need linebackers and I would like to see what Bostic actually has to offer
- Josh Bynes - Was a valuable backup asset last year and is probably a better depth option than Paul Worrilow.
Tweets from https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/lists/lions-coverage