The Detroit Lions were declared Week 1 free agency winners by PFF.
- Pro Football Focus named their top five Winners from the first week of free agency. The Detroit Lions came in at No. 2. Here is their reasoning:
“The Lions allowed the right side of their line to walk away in the same free-agency period, but they successfully upgraded at both spots on paper, and paid less to do it than their outgoing starters received on the open market from their new teams.”
- ESPN’s Todd McShay released his Mock Draft 3.0 on Wednesday (Insider required). McShay has the Lions selecting defensive end Charles Harris at 21 overall. Earlier in the week, PFF mocked the same player to Detroit.
- CBS’s Pete Prisco has a different take on the Lions’ draft. He slots running back Dalvin Cook to the Lions in the first round.
- Former Lions linebacker Jonathan Bostic is gaining some traction in free agency:
Colts have been actively monitoring the ILB market. Sean Spence, Kevin Minter & Jon Bostic have all been in for recent visits, per source.— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 15, 2017
- Dave Birkett says there is “mutual interest” between the Lions and Anquan Boldin, but the veteran receiver may want to play closer to home.
- Update from the NFLPA, the Lions apparently only have $3.25 million in cap space right now, the second-fewest amount in the NFL. It’s not exactly clear why Detroit’s cap number dropped $5 million overnight, though it’s like due to the addition of the T.J. Lang contract.
- Former Lions first-round pick Gosder Cherilus announced his retirement from the NFL on Thursday:
pic.twitter.com/XhoPdcVxwK— Gosder Cherilus (@GosderCherilus) March 16, 2017