Let me start with "A very happy 4th of July to all my friends"
If you guys happened to mozy along to the asp.net website recently, you would have noticed a new section "ASP.NET Core"
Well, what they heck is ASP.NET Core?
Was the ASP.NET we were using all along was just a 'light' version?
Or, has the ASP.NET started workouts focusing its mid section? You know.. Like core abdomen workouts ! Well never mind, I don’t think that joke panned out as well as I thought.
In continuation of our previous blog... (http://destinlearning.com/blog/139447/asp_net_core) about ASP.NET Core, here is more.
Well, ASP.NET core is here and it is here to stay.
IMHO, Microsoft has ignored other OS and not ventured into other operating systems for far too long and ASP.NET core is MS's foray into creating web applications that runs on OS other than windows server.
Given the fact that 80% of the websites run on OS other than Microsoft, Microsoft has to create framework that plays well in other operating systems too.
Here is what is promised with ASP.NET core. Here is the announcement from Jeff Fritz, ASP.NET Program Manager ( https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/webdev/2016/06/27... )
His article is very detailed but I think we should focus on these top 5 things about ASP.NET Core. There are other things that are important in ASP.NET, but these are my top 5.
Below is the top 5 thing we need to know about ASP.NET Core.
- Open Source : ASP.NET core is open source and available to download from github(https://github.com/aspnet/home ).
- Its Cross platform - Same code runs on Wintel servers, Linux based servers or even a Mac!(but who does it? Really?).
- Fast - as in runtime is very quick to generate the same pages, check out what/how here,https://github.com/aspnet/benchmarks
- No dependency on System.Web, everything needed is downloadable from NuGet repositories.
- New light weight and modular HTTP request processor.
I plan on adding lot more info as I play around with ASP.NET core. Check back often.
Also subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest from DestinLearning.com
We are planning on adding a new introductory course to demonstrate ASP.Net core.
Remember, you get ALL our courses for just $10( that just a price of one lunch /w tips)
See you all in class.