How do achieve a great web design? Your website design matters and can indicate if people are going to visit your site again or more often. So there are simple things that you can focus on how to make it user-friendly and easy-to-use. The page should load quickly, it should provide readers with the information they are looking for at a glance and it should make a good impression. Here are nine simple tips for a great design.
Keep thinking “I wish I could make my own website“? Don’t hesitate and make the first steps right now!
Easy Web Design Tips
Pick and stick with a good color scheme or palette. If you’re designing for a company that wants Colors on its stationery or logo, then it can be a good start. But then if you’re starting from scratch, you should pick at least two modern colors and stick with them. Use them across the pages. Some common schemes include white and blue; white, red and grey; white, yellow and red; and white, orange and blue. If you are not sure on what colors to use, then you may head over the web and look for a website that appeals to you. Model your colors from that website and stick with it.
- Make use website design templates. One the web, you can find good templates that will help you get started with the design and colors for your site, if you cannot find a website that you really like. These templates are pre-designed and they can be modified with your very own content and pages as well as with your desired elements. Some website builders that can help you are WIX and Free Website Templates. They have a wide range of templates to pick from depending on your business or industry and based on the theme you are looking for.
- Make sure that your design has a good navigation system. It is one of the issues of people designing a website. Some of them do not design their site in the manner that can help people find what they are looking for instantly because of poor navigation. You can put the navigation on the top left portion of your design. It is the most commonly used spot for the navigation bar for most good websites, so you may also want to stick with it. Plus, it will be a good idea to have another navigation bar at the bottom of every page, saving your visitors from scrolling back on top if they’re already at the bottom of the page.
Avoid using plenty of special effects, even if you’re coming up with a graphic web design. While visual effects, for instance, can jazz up your design and they can make your pages look a little bit more exciting, this may not be a good idea. Flashy designs might just distract your readers or visitors, preventing them from focusing on the content and preventing you from succeeding in making them take an action, such as signing up for a newsletter, buying an e-book or becoming a member of your site. Also, graphic elements may lead to slow-loading pages and it’s not good. In fact, loading times are also measured when it comes to ranking.
- See to it that the readers can read text on the background. So avoid black colored text on a blue background, for example. Also, see to it that the links are visible to your users before and after they are clicked.
- For your external links, see to it that links to other websites are opening in a new window. In this case, people can easily go back to your page after browsing the external page that leads to another website.
- Have a search and site map. If you have more than 15 pages for your website, then it would make sense if you have a sitemap or a search button for your pages so that your visitors can find what they are looking for fast.
Content matters. Aside from a great design, with clean and professional looking pages, content must also be given attention. You should concentrate on creating high quality content. Make sure that your content is valuable and useful to your audience. Do not spam them. For example, if they’re looking for a dog tutorial, do not lead them to a dog shampoo for sale. It is also about good etiquette in creating content. It is your responsibility to provide value to your readers. So aside from having high quality content on your site, you should also focus on providing users with a great experience visiting your site and one of the best ways to do it is to lead them to the right content that they have visited your website.
- Avoid busy and distractive elements. Speaking of content, avoid flash intros, animated mailboxes, loads of pop under and pop up boxes and busy backgrounds.
Find out what are 10 best website colors that increase engagement!
There you have the 9 tips to remember for an easy web design that will help you create an outstanding website that you will really be proud of and that your visitors will visit over again.