Using Node.js with Django and Backbone.js
Lately after hearing about all the fuss about Node.js, I am wondering how can it help my application? But I don't want to make the app run purely on node.js on the backend, i.e I still wish to use Django for the backend. Would it be possible to use Node for the "middle end" as mentioned here?
How can I optimise my app with Node.js?
It sounds like your application does not necessarily need Node.js. The main reasons you might want to use Node in addition to a more traditional framework like Django or Rails is if there is a real time or multiplayer aspect to your application.
I wouldn't use Node.js because there is a lot of fuss about it - if you need the aforementioned functionality, though, it can be great.
A high level architecture of your application might look something like:
- Serving your single page
- Serving assets(css, js, images, etc...)
- Handling DB connection - best to setup RESTful routes for each data model
- Data processing, etc...
- Handling user interaction
- Make http requests to read and write data
- Use something like Socket.io to notify clients of updates (instead of poling)
- You can replace the functionality of Django with one or a combination of node modules