Screen Addict is an extension available for Google Chrome web Browser. Screen Addict is actually a browser hijacker. It is one of those PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) which can add more than one extension into your browser.
In order to remove this malicious virus from your system download free malware removal tool and remove the desired virus in easy steps.
When installed, Screen Addict can control and modify your web browser settings. It can also open unwanted websites and pop-up ads without your permission. It is specifically targeted at the group of people who are interested in movie reviews, trailers, and interviews. When people search for movie streaming websites and other similar stuff, they unknowingly download this extension which could be malicious for their system.
How does it get into your Computer?
This browser hijacker can get into your system while you are searching for any software. It may also enter your system through deceptive advertisements, random clicks, etc. and while downloading third-party freeware download managers & software bundlers.
How malicious is it?
Once Screen Addict is installed in your system, it will modify your default browser settings. It changes your default search engine to search.mysearch.com. At the same time, it also changes your homepage and new tab page to search.mysearch.com. Furthermore, it adds another extension named mysearch and some bookmarks which are of no use.
In addition, Screen Addict inserts third-party ads and links in the search results. These ads and links may redirect you to corrupted websites which in turn may harm your system further. It also slows down your web browser.
If the extension Screen Addict has been installed on your web browser, then you’ll notice the following behavior:
- Whenever you launch the browser, you find that your default homepage has been changed.
- You find that a new toolbar panel has been added to the default home page.
- It also adds some inadequate bookmarks without your permission.
- It installs more than one extension on your browser.
- When you type anything in the search box, it searches using its own search engine or takes you to search.mysearch.com which looks something like this:
The Screen Addict browser hijacker majorly targets Google Chrome. It changes the homepage to search.mysearch.com which looks something like this:
How to Remove Screen Addict?
- Download Screen Addict RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
Screen Addict RemovalTool
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
Steps to Remove Screen Addict from
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions ‘. Search for Default and then Extensions
- Delete the folders named ‘imccbbpfefdpiallnmimdbmimphmfoeg’ & ‘dfgabodefeecgofmedihabmbniiiaecj’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions
- Delete the extension named ‘Screen Addict’.
The infected extension will be removed. Please note that the remnant files might still be left behind in this method. So, it is always recommended that you use this tool to remove the prevailing browser hijacker.
Tips to Prevent Screen Addict Toolbar From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like Screen Addict Redirect. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.