‘India Rankings 2016’, an indigenous ranking framework for higher education institutions has been released by Union Human Resource Development Minister Ms Smriti Irani. For the first time in India, the government has taken the initiative to declare the list of top 100 universities and institutes in Engineering, Management and Pharmacy.
IIT Madras has topped the engineering college section according to National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF). The second and third spots have been taken by IIT Mumbai and IIT Kharagpur respectively.
While IIM Bangalore has been declared as top management institution, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore is the best university in India. Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal reserves the top pharmacy institute in the country.
The NIRF covers 3,500 different institutes in four different categories – technological institution, management institution, pharmacy and university.
Interestingly, the strife ridden Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and Hyderabad Central University (HCU) has found spots for themselves in top 10 university list. While JNU has been ranked as country’s third best university, HCU stands at 4th rank. Both these university has been in headlines recently for the sedition row and contention that resulted from the death of Dalit scholar student Rohit Vemula’s death.
Speaking at the launching function, Ms Irani remarked that this ranking system will be annual and steps will be taken to improve this by adding more categories to make it more precise. The ranking aims to help the students to know more about the institution before taking admission.
According to NIRF, ranking framework has been drafted to provide an Indian context to educational aspirations and needs. This will help institutions that conduct research in languages other than English and are focused on inclusive education, two factors that are overlooked by international agencies.
All 122 centrally-funded institutions — including all central universities, IITs and IIMs — participated in the first round of ranking. The perception among students, alumni, parents, employees and public was one of the key parameters on which these institutes were ranked by a committee of experts. Teaching and learning resources, graduation outcomes, research etc being other factors.
In 2016 rankings released by Times Higher Education BRICS and Emerging Economies Indian educational institutes bagged 16 places among top 200 universities. Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore was ranked 16, the only Indian institute to feature in the top 20.
Top 10 Universities in the country
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvanathapuram
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science –Pilani
- Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
Top 10 Engineering institutes in India
- Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar-Rupnagar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Patna
Top 10 Management institutes in the country
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangaluru
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta
- Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
- Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
- International Management Institute, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Forest Management, Bhopal
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore
Top 10 Pharmaceutical institutes
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
- University institute of pharmaceutical sciences –Chandigarh
- Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Poona College of Pharmacy, Erandwane, Pune
- Institute of Pharmacy, Nirma University, Ahmedabad
- Bombay College of Pharmacy, Mumbai
- Birla Institute of technology, Ranchi
- Amrita School of Pharmacy, Kochi
- JSS college of Pharmacy, Ootacamund
- JSS college of Pharmacy, Mysuru
The post HRD ministry releases top ten higher education institution list; JNU, HCU among them appeared first on Golkondanews.com.