08. December 2017. The ECMI team organized the side event at the OSCE Ministerial Council in Vienna. The event aimed to present and promote a number of initiatives discussed in the report of the 2016 project titled “Bridge Building and Integration in Diverse Societies”.
The project focused on identifying positive examples of minority involvement in bridge building between communities and states within and across borders in the OSCE area. After a short video introducing the project and some of its results, several initiatives were presented by experts familiar and involved with them.
The presentations included examples from across wider Europe: Macedonia (FYROM), Ukraine, Council of National Minorities of Georgia, and Germany. The presentations covered sectors such as political participation, media, and education.
Participants and presentations of the ECMI panel included:
- Introduction by Prof. Dr. Tove Malloy (European Centre for Minority Issues)
- Introduction to the project and moderation by Dr. Zora Popova (European Centre for Minority Issues)
- Presentation of project implementation and cross-border cooperation aspect by Dr. Jens Woelk (University of Trento, Eurac Research Bolzano/Bozen – Institute for Comparative Federalism)
- Presentation of the Council of National Minorities of Georgia under the auspices of the office of the Public Defender by Izabella Osipova (Public Defender’s Office of Georgia)
- Presentation of new conception of Ethnonational Policy, Law of Ukraine on Education and Contextual Learning in Schools with Ethnic Languages by Prof. Volodymyr Yevtukh (National Pedagogical Dragomanov University)
- Presentation on managing national minority issues in Schleswig-Holstein by Linda Pieper (State Chancellery of Land Schleswig-Holstein – Division for Foreign Affairs and National Minorities).
A video of the panel was streamed LIVE and is currently available on ECMI Facebook Page.
Read about the project Bridge Building and Integration in Diverse Societies and download a report.
National Minorities and Bridge Building: ECMI side event at the OSCE Ministerial Council
Bridge building and integration in diverse societies: ECMI and OSCE HCNM sign an agreement
Source: ECMI InfoChannel @ European Centre for Minority Issues.
This post first appeared on ECMI InfoChannel - European Centre For Minority Is, please read the originial post: here