When one writes with his or her reader or audience in mind, the individual employs non-sexist language. An awareness of non-sexist language communicates that you’re a careful, considerate writer. This piece offers 15 non-sexist word or phrase substitutes.
- Replace mankind with humanity.
- Replace policeman with police officer.
- Replace man-hours with work hours.
- Replace mailman with police officer.
- Replace chairman with chairperson.
- Replace a man who with someone who.
- Replace anchorman with anchor.
- Replace cleaning woman with domestic.
- Replace Englishmen with the English.
- Replace fireman with firefighter.
- Replace foreman with supervisor.
- Replace man-made with artificial or manufactured.
- Replace postman with mail carrier.
- Replace salesman with salesperson.
- Replace self-made man with self-made person.
Dr. Antonio Maurice Daniels
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Tagged: Non-Sexist Language, Non-Sexist Phrases, Non-Sexist Words
This post first appeared on Revolutionary Paideia | Unsettling, Unnerving, And Unhousing Since 1981, please read the originial post: here