1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
250g fresh mushrooms
6 burger rolls
1 cup lettuce leaves
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced rounds
olive oil for brushing and frying
Method 15 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Cut aubergine lengthwise into 1 cm slices. Lay on a baking tray on baking paper. Try not to overlap them. Brush a thin layer of oil over each slice on both sides. Sprinkle salt, paprika and oregano over all of the slices. Bake until completely soft in the middle and a knife can pierce through easily like butter. (NB. This is a very important step, if the aubergine is not fully cooked and the flesh is not soft and still has a bite, it will be a very unpleasant texture to eat.) This should take at least 20 minutes, but it depends on the thickness of each slice.
3. Cut the mushrooms lengthwise into thick slices. You will get about 3-4 slices from each mushroom depending on the size of the mushroom. Lay the mushroom slices evenly on a baking tray. Try not to overlap them. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Roast in the oven until cooked but still plump and juicy, about 10- 15 minutes.
4. In the food processor, mix the olive oil, basil, mayo (hold the mayo or use vegan mayo if 100% vegan), garlic and salt together until it forms a smooth sauce.
5. Cut the rolls in half and toast the inside of the rolls on the grill. If a grill is not available, you can toast them in the oven (facing up) for about 30 seconds at 180 degrees Celsius.
6. On the inside of the roll, bottom and top, layer a thin layer of the basil mayo sauce. Place a slice or two (depending on size of the slice) of aubergine on the bottom roll so that it covers the roll. Then add a few mushroom slices, followed by the lettuce, and tomato.
Recipe published with permission of Humane Society International/Africa. For more plant-based and vegan deliciousness visit our vegan hub here.
To receive quick and convenient weekday recipes, join our Easy Weekday Meals mailing list, and for up-to-date trending food, restaurant and wine news subscribe to our Editor’s Weekly newsletter.
The post Big Bite Mushroom and eggplant burger appeared first on Daily Post Africa.