This guide should be helpful if you’re looking for the best electronic dog Door for a wall.
Wall mounted electronic dog doors should be able to be mounted on the type of wall you need to install on, and the thickness of wall you need to install on.
What we’ve done in this guide is listed the top rated wall mounted electronic dog doors on the market – you should be able to find something to suit your wall.
Let’s look at them both!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s).
Best Electronic Dog Door For Wall Mounting Or Installation
Our top picks for the best electronic dog doors for walls are:
Wall Mount Plexidor Electronic Dog Door (on Amazon) – electronic/automatic pet door with up to a 12 3/4 inches wide by 20 inches high flap opening, for pets up to around 125 lbs
High Tech Power Pet Door (on Amazon) – electronic pet door. Has a flap opening of up to 12-1/4 by 16 inches, and is for pets up to 100 lbs
Best Electronic Dog Door For A Wall: Reviews
Wall Mount Plexidor Electronic Dog Door
- An automatic/electronic dog door for dogs up to 125 pounds and all cats
- The wall unit pet doors can be installed into stud, brick, block or cement walls up to 12 inches thick
- The opening of the door is 12 3/4 inches wide by 20 inches high
- The way this door works is that it uses RFID technology where the door sensor reads the pre-programmed code in the collar key to know when to open and close the door automatically for the pet wearing it and no one else. So, other animals and wildlife are kept outside
- A composite panel slides up and down when your pet enters and exits (you can adjust how long the panel stays open for)
- The panel is completely secure when closed
- The collars require no batteries
- The waterproof collar key weighs just 0.4 ounces, and snaps onto your pet’s collar
- The range of the collar to the door is 12 to 15 Inches
- The system usually comes with 2 collar keys (but confirm before you buy)
- The door signal wont’ interfere with a dog fence system, or a home security system
- The door is pet and child safe – won’t close on and crush a pet or child if they obstruct the door and sit in the opening
- The door plugs into a standard household outlet or can be hardwired
- Made in the USA
- Has a 5 year limited residential warranty
- Comes with an aluminium tunnel that connects the interior and exterior frame
- Comes in bronze and white colors
- Not a cheap door
- Overall a great dog door for small to large pets if you want an automatic dog door
View the full Plexidor Electronic Dog Door Reviews Guide here.
High Tech Power Pet Door
- A fully automatic/electronic pet door that can be mounted to walls or doors
- Comes in 2 sizes – medium and large
- Large has a door panel opening size of 12-1/4 by 16 inches, and is for pets up to 100 lbs
- Overall the large door system is 40 5/8 by 16 inches in total size
- Medium is for pets up to 30 pounds (with a 8-1/4″W x 10″H opening)
- It is made of a strong resin material
- The door is motor driven and moves up and down vertically
- The door is activated by a Micro Sonic ultrasonic collar that your pet wears
- The ultrasonic collar emits a highly directional signal, which is received by the microphone
- The door has a directional sensor, meaning that the door should only open when you pet directly approaches the door, not just when they are passing by
- The door system has 4 way access control, meaning that you can select from In Only, Out Only, Full Access or Closed/Locked
- The door system has Dual range controls that let you set independent inside and outside activation distances
- The door is relatively weatherproof with a weatherproof seal
- The door has an automatic deadbolt lock feature
- The system operates on an AC adapter (included) that plugs into a 110 volt outlet. There’s an optional backup battery (model B12V-1.3) that snaps into the battery compartment. But, you can run the system on AC only, battery only, or AC with battery backup
- The door has sets of buttons on it to allow you to control the on/off, dual range activation, and 4 way access sensors
- The door can be installed on any regular exterior house door up to 1-3/4 inches thick. Any thicker than that and you should build a frame or order the additional High Tech Pet Wall Adapter Tunnel or make your own additional extra framing
- When installing the door system into a wall, you either need to build your own frame or get the extra High Tech Pet wall adapter
- Sliding glass panel inserts come with the sliding glass patio door model packages
- In the box you get a transmitter collar, an AC adapter, a pre fabricated frame, hardware and Aluminum and Tempered Glass Frame for the sliding patio door models
- Relatively easy to install
- Not a cheap door to purchase
- Like all electronic pet doors – the sensors don’t work perfect 100% of the time – your dog may have to wait patiently sometimes while the sensor picks up the collar device
- The hardware could be better quality, particularly the screws. The head may strip off for some people
- Not a good door for the cold weather – the door system can malfunction in cold weather and open up via the sensors which trigger the auto open feature. That, or sometimes the door won’t shut at all.
- After a few years, the door can start to lose some of it’s performance. For the price, you’d expect the door to last you 5-10 years with little maintenance.
- The sensors for the door are at the bottom of the door meaning that dirt, mud, snow etc. can get on them and block them if you don’t keep them clean
- For thick doors and thick walls, you may want to get a professional to help you install, or, if you want a super solid installation because the hardware and frame you get with the door aren’t weak, but they aren’t the strongest.
- The truth is that there is no perfect automatic electronic pet door on the market. The High Tech Power Pet Door is no exception. For some people who live in mild climates, that door works fine for a period of years. But, it is not a cold or snowy climate door. For the price, you would expect the system to have much better hardware, a more beefed up frame, and for the electronics to work more accurately and reliably. You’d just expect there to be less overall cons. An OK automatic pet door, without being great.
View the High Tech Power Pet Door Reviews Guide here.
Best Electronic Dog Door For A Wall: Buyer’s Guide
How To Choose A Pet Door For Your Wall
First, decide what wall in your house you want to install the electronic dog door on.
Then, based on the dog door you are looking at buying, check the:
- the type of wall the pet door can be mounted on
- the thickness of wall the pet door can be mounted on – compare and confirm it will fit the thickness of your wall
It also helps if you read the installation guide/manual provided by the manufacturer before you buy the pet door – they usually give you more information on the type of wall it can be mounted on, and how you might approach installation for walls made of different materials such as brick and other wall materials.
What Size Dog Door To Get – How To Measure Your Dog For A Dog Door
The manufacturer should give you instructions on how to measure your dog. But generally, you might:
- Measure the width of the rib cage
- Measure from the floor to the top of your pet’s shoulders
Make sure your dog is going to have enough room to fit through the flap or opening in the dog door (width and height wise).
How To Install An Electronic Dog Door
No information is a substitute for the installation manual/instructions provided by the pet door manufacturer.
But, in general, it depends on whether you are installing into a door or a wall, and the type of door or wall you are installing into.
Specifically with an electronic dog door, make sure you have the right batteries and/or a power source or power outlet near the door to plug or hardwire into (depending on how the dog door is powered.
Make sure you install the pet door at a height that your dog can comfortably walk through.
Read more about measuring your dog for a dog door and how to install a dog door in this guide.
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here
The post Best Electronic Dog Door For Wall Mounting Or Installation appeared first on The Daily Shep.