In this guide we’ve clearly outlined the differences and similarities between the two e collars.
We also consider which e collar might be better for different owners, trainers and dogs based on the features they have, and what they were designed for.
Let’s compare these two brands and models, and look at each of them more closely!
(NOTE: this is a general information guide only, and is not professional advice, or a substitute for professional advice. A qualified vet or animal expert is the only person qualified to give you expert advice in regards to your pet/s)
Dogtra Edge vs Garmin PRO 550: Comparison, & Which Is Better?
If you want to go straight to viewing these e collars, you can do so here:
Garmin PRO 550 Dog Training System (on Amazon)
*NOTE: you can add more dogs to the PRO 550 remote by buying separate collar devices – Garmin PT10 Collar Devices (on Amazon)
Dogtra Edge E Collar (on Amazon)
*NOTE: you can add more dogs to the Edge remote by buying separate Edge collar devices – Dogtra Edge Add On Collars/Receivers In Black, Blue, Orange or Green (on Amazon)
Dogtra Edge vs Garmin PRO 550: Which Is Better?
The main similarities between these two e collar dog systems is that they:
- are for advanced and serious owners, trainers and professionals who want a customisable dog collar training system
- are multi dog training systems – you can train/control more than one dog from the remote handhelds
However, you might find one of the e collar systems better than the other for your intentions and for your dog/s depending on the following:
You might get the Dogtra Edge if…
- You want the ability to train up to 4 dogs from the handheld remote
- You only need or want Static Stimulation (shock) training modes
- You want two different and customisable static stimulation systems – a 127 level, and an 8 level static stimulation level system
- You want a platinum lifetime warranty
- You want a system for dogs as small as 35lbs
You might get the Garmin PRO 550 if…
- You want the ability to train up to 3 dogs from the handheld remote
- You want all three training options of static stimulation, vibration and tone/sound
- You only need one static stimulation system
- You want bark collar technology
- You want a collar device beacon light for darker conditions
- You want a system for most small to large dogs
Dogtra Edge vs Garmin PRO 550: Differences
- The Dogtra Edge can control/train up to 4 dogs from the handheld remote with the purchase of additional/separate add on collar devices, whilst the Garmin PRO 550 can only train up to 3 dogs
- The Garmin PRO 550 allows you to train with static stimulation (shock), tone and vibration modes, whereas the Dogtra Edge only allows you to train with static and vibration
- The Dogtra Edge has two static stimulation systems that you can interchange between instantly – a 127 static stimulation level system you can control on the R dial on the remote, and also an 8 level static stimulation system controllable on the S dial. The Garmin PRO 550 has one static stimulation system – a 21 level static stimulation system controllable by a dial.
- The Garmin PRO 550 has in built BarkLimiter technology, which allows it to double as a bark collar. The Dogtra Edge does not have bark collar technology.
- The Garmin PRO collars have built in LED lights you can activate so you can find your dog in darker conditions. The Dogtra Edge collars don’t have LED lights
- The Dogtra Edge remote has a LCD display that allows you to see static stimulation level and battery level, whereas the Garmin PRO 550 doesn’t have a LCD display on it’s remote.
- The Dogtra Edge is For Dogs as Small as 35 lbs, whilst the Garmin PRO 550 is for most small to large dogs.
- The Dogtra Edge comes with extendable collar contact points (5/8″ to 3/4″), whilst the Garmin PRO 550 comes with both long and short contact point sets
- The Garmin PRO 550 can have a beeper system added to it, whereas the Dogtra Edge can’t
- The Dogtra Edge has a lifetime warranty, whilst the Garmin PRO 550 has a limited warranty.
Dogtra Edge vs Garmin PRO 550: Similarities
- They were both designed for similar things. The Dogtra Edge is designed for dog owners and trainers that need advanced features, like customizability, expandability, and durability. Specifically it is designed for pet training, hunting, hounds, K9, and serious amateurs. The Garmin PRO is designed for serious and professional trainers, and hunters
- Both have 1 mile range from handheld remote to collar receiver
- They are both expandable systems – they can control more than 1 dog from the handheld remote
- Both handheld remotes come with color coded buttons and layouts so you can better see the dog you are training/controlling
- Both e collars have both momentary and continuous static stimulation options
- Both e collars have low to high power output for the static stimulation (for soft to harder temperament dogs)
- Both e collars have quick charge rechargeable batteries
- Both e collars are water proof. The Dogtra Edge is fully waterproof. The Garmin PRO 550 collar device is water-rated to 1 ATM (10 meters), and the transmitter remote is water-rated to IPX7
Dogtra Edge vs Garmin PRO 550: Reviews
- Dogtra Edge Review
- Garmin PRO 550 Review
TheDailyShep.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates.
Additionally, TheDailyShep.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links.
TheDailyShep.com are not veterinarians, or animal professionals/experts. Information provided is for informational purposes only – it is not a substitute for professional or qualified advice.
The information is based on either our own thorough research, and/or own experiences, as a means of free speech.
By consuming this information, you accept that TheDailyShep.com do not have client or patient relationship with you, and TheDailyShep.com are not advising you to act on anything you read.
You should always consult your own veterinarian, animal expert, or health care professional and follow their advice before making decisions on all matters.
You can find our full set of disclaimers and T & C’s in the footer of this site.
Enjoy your reading, and thank you for being here
The post Dogtra Edge vs Garmin PRO 550: Comparison, & Which Is Better? appeared first on The Daily Shep.