Corona Virus has hit the UK and it’s hard not to freak out, so what can we do to protect ourselves and boost our Immune systems to help avoid Coronavirus? Here, Tamla Anderson from Splendid Nutrition shares her advice on what we can do to support our immune systems in these worrying times.
As well as sensible handwashing with hot water and soap we can proactively support our natural defences with diet, herbs and some lifestyle modifications.
Given the right nutrients and environment, the body can protect itself from bacterial and viral challenges. In fact, we are defending ourselves from such viruses and bacteria every day. Without even knowing it.
Foods to help support the Immune System
- Citrus fruits like lemons and oranges as well as other fruits like rhubarb, kiwi, berries (red, blue and black) and pomegranate are packed with immune-enhancing vitamin and anti-oxidants.
- Foods high in soluble fibre such as vegetables, beans, pulses and porridge oats feed the good bacteria in our gut, enabling a strengthened immune response.
- Anti-viral herbs include ginger, turmeric, onions, garlic, peppermint (the tea, not the gum), oregano, dandelion and lemon-balm.
- Seafood and oily fish are rich in Omega 3, enabling and enhancing our body’s defence systems.
Our bodies will always prioritise stress over digestion, reproduction or the immune system. So in order to strengthen our immune system, we need to first deal with, or at least reduce stress.
Some lifestyle tips for reducing stress and strengthening the immune system including:
- Exercising – exercise improves your overall fitness, which can help boost your immune system. Moderate activity is all you need.
- Meditation – which stimulates immune system brain-function regions
- Get plenty of good quality sleep – lack of sleep can compromise. our immune system’s ability to fight off infection.
- Avoidance of toxic chemicals and drugs (including alcohol) – for example, alcohol affects the way health gut microbes interact with the immune system.
- Spend time with positive people – a positive attitude can improve your immune system.
For extra support, you may supplement with Vitamins C and D and possibly Zinc too but you should seek medical advice when supplementing, especially if you are taking medications or are pregnant.
We hope these tips help you. These are uncertain times, but thankfully there are things we can do like the above to help boost our immune systems to help avoid Coronavirus.
Tamla is a registered Nutritional Therapist practising in Kingston-Upon-Thames and Harley Street in London. She specialises in helping children and adults with eczema to get better and manage the condition through nutrition and lifestyle. Tamla has also worked successfully with a range of clients suffering with IBS symptoms, food intolerances, pre-diabetes, weight loss, chronic fatigue and anxiety/depression. You can make contact for a free 15 minute consultation by emailing her at [email protected] or by completing the contact page on www.splendidnutrition.co.uk. You can also read her tips on feeding your family healthy food on a budget here.
Picture credit: Background photo created by freepik – www.freepik.com
The post How to boost your immune system to help avoid Coronavirus appeared first on Motherhood: The Real Deal.