Honestly, even I was stumped when I came across this method, but a lot of ladies swear by it! And as it turns out, it actually is kind of effective, though you may want to back up the result you get with a more standard test. Nonetheless, it works great in emergency situations when you can’t run to the store and need to know right away whether you’re pregnant or not.
Without further ado, let’s give you a lowdown on the DIY Toothpaste pregnancy test.
How To Make This Test?
To make your own toothpaste pregnancy test, you’ll need the following supplies:
- 2 clean cups or containers
- A clean medicine dropper (optional)
- A timer
- A tube of plain, white toothpaste
- A clean stick
As soon as you wake up, pee into one of the clean containers. The first Urine of the morning contains the highest levels of the HCG hormone, commonly known as the pregnancy hormone. Hence, it’s vital you do it in the morning. Once you’re done peeing into one of the cups, take the other one and add a teaspoonful of toothpaste into it.
Now, with the help of a dropper, add a proportionate amount of urine from the first container to the other one that contains the toothpaste. If you don’t have a dropper, you can do this manually too. Just be careful not to pour too much of urine. It should be directly proportionate to the toothpaste’s quantity. Stir the mixture with the help of a clean stick.
Next, take the timer and set it to a countdown of 3 minutes and wait. As soon as the timer beeps 3 minutes, check the container with the toothpaste-urine mixture to see if it’s changed in consistency and color.
If it turns frothy and acquires a bluish tint, chances are, you are pregnant. However, if there’s no change in the color and consistency of the toothpaste at all, it’s a false alarm and you are not pregnant.
Is This DIY Toothpaste Test Accurate?
The way the test works is by mixing your urine and plain white toothpaste together and allowing the mixture to sit for a particular amount of time. The reaction of the toothpaste to the added urine will vary depending on whether the pregnancy hormone is contained in your urine or not. As mentioned before, if the result is positive, the toothpaste will change in both color and consistency. If it’s negative, nothing will happen.
So yes, in a way it’s completely accurate as a noticeable change will take place to determine your pregnancy status. However, it’s still wise to get a second opinion by going for a blood test at your doctor’s. That’s because even pharmacy pregnancy test kits are not 100% accurate always.
Things To Keep In Mind When Trying Out This Test
If you are curious and want to try out this test, there are certain things you should keep in mind. These include –
- The Nature Of The Toothpaste: Make sure the toothpaste you use is absolutely plain white and free of added colors. It should not be of a gel consistency either or contain baking soda or sparkles as these can interfere with the results.
- The Cleanliness Of The Containers: Another thing to keep in mind is the cleanliness of the containers. These should not contain any traces of soap chemicals or be even slightly dirty in any way as that too can mess with the results.
- The Duration Of The Test: You should not let the mixture of urine and toothpaste stand for longer than 3 to 5 minutes as after that any kind of urine will react with the toothpaste and cause noticeable changes, irrespective of whether the urine contains HCG hormone or not.
While this test is definitely a reliable and all-natural way of finding out whether you are pregnant or not, we still recommend you go for a medical test if you want to be really sure.
The post Diy Toothpaste Pregnancy Test - Get an Answer Now! appeared first on MomJunction.