These Jalapeno Zucchini Cheddar Scones are a delicious savory scone you can enjoy any time of day!
It may be fall, but the weather here in Maine has been screaming “Summer’s not over yet!” this week. It actually got up to 90 degrees here yesterday, and my husband and I were completely regretting having already taken the air conditioner out of our bedroom when the temperature was still 81 degrees at 11pm last night.
Even with the hot temperatures we’ve been having, I cannot get rid of this baking bug that I have. My mind is saying “It’s fall! Bake all the things!!” So, I’ve been trying to get any baking I want to do done during the early morning hours before it gets too hot in the house. This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission if you make a purchase after clicking a link in this post.
Recommended for you:
Nordic Ware Scottish Scone & Cornbread Pan
Yesterday, I baked up the most delicious Jalapeno Zucchini Cheddar Scones. I have been craving a savory scone for what seems like forever, and I finally decided to make it happen.
We had a whole bunch of fresh jalapenos from our garden, and I took out some of the shredded garden zucchini that I had put in the freezer earlier this summer. I just love using up all of the delicious vegetables from our garden!
I know most people say scones taste best when fresh out of the oven, but I thought these Jalapeno Zucchini Cheddar Scones tasted even better as the day went on. They were so good, I ate three of them by myself!
3/4 cup packed shredded zucchini (drained very well)
1 large jalapeno (seeded and diced)
1 stick very cold butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup full fat sour cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2.5 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Use a grater to quickly grate the cold stick of butter into the flour mixture. For best results, place stick of butter in freezer for 10 minutes first. Cold butter makes the scones flaky!
- Quickly work the butter into the flour mixture with a fork until it resembles coarse meal.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl.
- Add sour cream to beaten egg and whisk to combine. Add egg and sour cream mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine zucchini, diced jalapeno, 3/4 cup of the sharp cheddar and 2 tablespoons of flour. Toss to coat. This will prevent all of the ingredients from sinking to the bottom of the dough.
- Fold zucchini mixture into flour mixture, until distributed evenly.
- Place the dough mixture onto a clean floured work surface and shape the dough into an 8 inch circle. You will have to knead it quite a bit to get it to come together.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the top of each scone with a little of the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes.
Let me know if you try baking these delicious Jalapeno Zucchini Cheddar Scones!
The post Jalapeno Zucchini Cheddar Scones appeared first on Sincerely, Mindy.