Did you know 70% of kids struggle in their adult life, if they lack important life skills?
There is no doubt that kids learn a lot in schools, but there are some important life skills beyond classrooms which every kid should master before leaving high School.
When Amy moved away from home to Chicago for higher studies, she was having a tough time to get an apartment, as every time eating out was too expensive, so she decided to cook her own meal, but she doesn’t have any idea how to cook her meal. every time she had to call her mom to teach her how to cook or laundry.
The main idea behind the story is to teach important life skills to our children to prepare them for real-life challenges.
All these important life skills help kids to become independent and self-sufficient to pursue their main goals in life.
Cultivating these life skills in early age improve children’s social interactions, develop reasoning skills, feeling empowered to achieve anything in life.
Here’s a list of 12 important life skills every kid needs to learn before hitting high school, let’s dive in!
1. Doing Chores
Involving children in daily chores helps to make them responsible, caring, cooperating and sharing work with siblings.
It develops a sense of teamwork among kids and helps them to master these life skills as they are getting ready ahead of high school. Inspire kids to participate in:
- Cleaning & Dusting
- Folding laundry & Iron clothes
- Preparing meal – cleaning and peeling veggies, dishwashing
- Keeping garden – taking trash, mowing grass & watering plants
- Feeding pets & taking them for a walk
- Babysitting for siblings
2. Cooking Meal
Cooking a simple meal is the most basic life skill, which helps kids to get healthy food without depending on unhealthy outside foods.
It must be mastered before going to high school. Some basic cooking lessons include:
- Washing, carefully slicing and chopping veggies
- Measuring ingredients with scoop & opening can with a can opener
- Making rice & baking/microwave foods
- Meshing potatoes with fork & snap beans
- Making salads & soups
- Scrambled eggs & boiling pasta
- Making simple juices & smoothies
3. How to Do Laundry
Easy and simple laundry lessons can be given to children in a step by step manner, mastering these laundry skills will make kids life easier in high school and university.
First up, show them a demonstration of how things are done in laundry and then encourage them to follow.
- Sorting laundry clothes – separating white clothes or dry cleaning cloths
- Adding detergent & loading washing machine
- Understanding various settings of washing machine
- How to wash clothes by hands & cleaning deep stains
- Cleaning lint catcher & operating dryer
- Folding & hanging clothes
4. Money Basics
Teaching money basics to children leads to financial independence. Kids can easily master these life skills related to money, it will also help them to manage their high school expenses,
Start off by telling them about earnings.
How their parents earn money and how they wisely spent it on basic needs, making the budget based on income and expenses. Encourage them to save money.
- Introducing with concept of income & expenses
- Making budget to plan income & expenses
- Teaching about spending on basic needs & avoiding wasting money on unnecessary things.
- Encourage habit of saving & charity
- How to use ATM & debit card/ Credit card
- Making payment at supermarket & paying bills
5. Grocery Shopping
Visiting a grocery shop can be a fun for kids, taking kids to grocery shop side by side can also be a learning session for them.
Shopping grocery is another life skill which a kid can master under parent’s guidance, no high school can ever teach.
Demonstrate them price comparison, identifying best bargain deals and while checking out, show them how to use coupons, reward points, and swipe card to make payments.
- Making a shopping list
- Learning about brands & price comparison
- Understanding nutrition details & volume/size on goods
- Look for bargain deals
- Saving money using coupons & reward points
- Swipe card to make payments
6. Basic First Aid Skills
Kids often hurt themselves while playing. Learn to do the first aid is a life skill which can be a lifesaver for anyone.
Although many high schools do teach first aid to their students, but it can be mastered over the time by applying in real life situations.
- How to use first aid kit
- Control bleeding by applying pressure
- Identifying broken bone or allergic reactions
- Cleaning wounds and applying antiseptics and bandages
- Calling 911 for help in emergencies
7. Taking Stand for Themselves
Parents should empower their kids to take a stand for themselves. Mastering self-defensive techniques is a vital life skill which can be very useful in the high school or anywhere in life.
Learning how to confidently dealing with bullying or any kind of abuse. Advocating themselves in situations like:
- When someone cuts the line in between
- Raising voice against any wrongdoing
- Learn to say no when you don’t like
- When someone is bullying or abusing
- Using self-defense techniques
8. Basic Communication Skills
The basic communication skills are one of the essential life skill which every kid should master.
As they are an essential component of our daily interactions in places like high schools, university or office job. Some of these skills are:
- Social interactions – at job, university, with friends, family & strangers
- Writing a letter
- Sending email or text messages
- Filling forms
- Public speaking/presentation & eye contact
9. Decision Making Skills
As the kids approach towards adulthood decision-making skills is an important life skill which makes them confident, responsible and believe in themselves.
Mastering decision making is not easy as we have seen kids are often confused to decide which toy or outfit to buy, choosing ice cream flavor or books.
Here’s the approach:
- Identify what need to be decided
- Gathering facts and information for decision
- Identify options & evaluating options
- Choosing best suitable option
- Review decision, whether it meets your expectation or not
10. Time Management
Patents are always worried about their kids spending too much time on screens and less interested in studies and other outdoor activities.
The main reason being, inadequate time management, which is an important life skill. Parents and school can guide kids to master the art of dividing time for each activity.
This can be overcome by teaching children better time management.
- Set a time for eating, playing, watching TV & going to bed
- Scheduling daily activities in a checklist
- Follow daily chores
- Using a timer
- Utilizing free time in some craft or DIY activities
11. Car Lessons
Basic car knowledge adds an extra value to your kid’s life, mastering it takes them to the next level in learning life skills.
Some basic car skills are always good for kids to be learned at early ages, like:
- Washing car
- Fill air in tires & changing tires
- Pumping gas at filling station
- How to jump-start a car
12. Organizing Their Room
Parents often organize the room for their kids, but eventually, kids should master this important life skill at a young age so they don’t feel challenged in later part of life, in high school and university.
- Encouraging habit of making bed daily: changing sheets, organizing pillows, folding blankets
- Keeping books and stationery at place in study table
- Hanging outfits in wardrobe, putting shoes in rack
- Cleaning room & putting wrapper and other waste in trash
- Putting toys, guitar, and other kinds of stuff at their places
If you have suggestions for any other life skills to add here, we would love to hear from you in the comment section, please share the post with your loved ones.
The post 12 Life Skills Every Kid Should Master Before High School appeared first on Munchkins Planet.