Looking through most Social Media feeds, we’re bombarded with posts from “friends” showing off the latest vacation. We also see “check-in’s” where the poster will check- in at various locations.
The danger with posting current pictures or “checking-in” can be a perfect formula for theft. When a status on Social media is made, if the correct safety controls aren’t in place, those who are allowed to view your account can see EXACTLY where you are, and sometimes, even complete strangers.
That’s pretty scary!
Especially if you post while away from home, letting everyone know you aren’t home.
Summer is upon us and that means loads of vacations. Take a few minutes to protect yourself online before you leave home.
- In a FB posts, avoid “check-in.”
- Check all forms of social media and make sure your privacy settings are lock tight.
- Post pictures on social media when you get home- not while you’re away. Plus, if you’re on vacation its ok to put your devices down! It’s your time away!
- If you’re planning to head out of town for awhile, it may be a good idea to shut down your social media account while away. That way you aren’t tempted to share everything, including where you are.
- And just some common sense- have a good friend or family member check on your place occupationally while you’re away. Have them bring in any newspapers, mail, and packages into the house so it appears someone is home.
Going away from home can be a great time, and you deserve it. Using some extra precautions and safeguards while you’re away can make coming home a great time as well.
Email for kids! Allow your children to use technology and be safe. Sign up for a free trial today: http://KidsEmail.org/