Let’s face the fact: between menstruation, sexual intercourse, and childbirth, the Vagina withstands a lot. Vaginal steaming is an age-old natural remedy to cleanse the vagina and uterus, regulate menstruation, and ease period cramps and bloating. This procedure is already popular in Asia and parts of Africa and Central America, but is now being tried by women across the globe. Do you want to know why? Read On.
Source: The asian parent. com
Did you know that just as you steam your face to give it a cleanse, you can do the same to your vagina too? Yes, you read that right. This interesting method of cleaning is called vaginal steaming. This is an age-old remedy that cleanses the vagina, regulates your menstrual cycle and eases bloating and cramps.But other than cleaning, does it have any other advantages? More importantly, is it safe for your sexual health? Well, keep reading to find out.
What is vaginal steaming?
Vaginal steaming is a method where you direct herb-infused steam into your vagina. If you are willing to shell out some hefty bucks, you can get this done at a spa. But if you are still keen to do this, you may try it at home.
What herbs are used in vaginal steaming?
The herbs used in vaginal steaming are:
The herbs listed here have their individual benefits. For instance, according to Chinese medicine, burnt mugwort is used over problematic areas of the body. This alternative therapy process is called moxibustion, and mugwort is believed to treat reproductive problems. Therefore, it is often used in vaginal steaming. Similarly, all the other herbs listed above also have their own special properties.
But you do not have to stick to only these.You can also use lavender, rosemary, yarrow, dandelion root, jasmine, peppermint, thyme, sage as rose to prepare your own concoction
How can you steam your vagina?
Once you have all these herbs in place, the preparation of the steam and the process itself is quite simple. Here’s how you do it,
- Take some hot water in a container or a basin and add one cup of the herbs.
- Let the herbs steep in the water for a minute or two.
- Without any clothes on from the waist below, stand or squat directly over the container or the basin. Likewise, you can place the basin or the container over the toilet and sit on it.
- Place a towel over your legs (just as you do when you steam your face). This prevents the steam from escaping.
- An average session for vaginal steaming could last anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes.
What are the benefits of vaginal steaming?
Vaginal steaming can cleanse the vagina and even balance out hormones. Apart from cleaning your vagina and helping ease cramps and bloating, the process has a few more benefits.
- Reduces bloating and discomfort due to menstrual cycles
- Decreases menstrual flow and reduces dark purple or brown blood that you may notice at the onset or end of your cycle
- Regulates irregular menstrual cycles
- Increases fertility, especially if you combine it with a Mayan (abdominal) massage
- Helps in speedy healing of the vagina after natural birth
- Treats uterine fibroids, prolapse and ovarian cysts
- Heals hemorrhoids
- Treats chronic vaginal/yeast infections
- Maintain healthy odour in the vagina
- Removes any hormone imbalances
- Takes care of digestive issues
- Eases pain in the body
Do all the experts vouch for this process?
Some experts believe that vaginal steaming is not really necessary. They advocate to leave the lady parts alone as the vagina is very good at keeping itself healthy. They claims that vagina has a delicate balance of bacteria. Any intervention – like the trend of douching – can wash away the normal bacteria that keeps your vagina healthy.
Moreover, although vaginal steaming (also called yoni steaming) is popular in Asia and parts of Africa and Central America, experts have reservations about the process. That’s because there is no scientific evidence to prove that it cures all the aforementioned ailments.
Is vaginal steaming safe?
There’s no scientific research to prove whether vaginal steaming is safe. But your vagina isn’t meant to be steam-cleaned. An overheated vagina may provide the perfect environment for bacteria that cause yeast infections and other vaginal infections to thrive.
Vaginal skin is delicate, sensitive, and easily traumatized. Using it as target practice for a plume of warm steam may cause vaginal burns or scalding.
There aren’t any accepted medical guidelines for steaming your vagina. This means unless you consult an alternative health practitioner, try this only if you just want to clean your vagina and experience how it feels.