More and more research is divulging the fact that the health of our mouth is very significant in maintaining the health of our whole body. An oral cavity with microbial imbalance increases our risk of developing chronic diseases such as heart disease.
How does the dysbiotic oral cavity increase the risk of chronic diseases?
Streptococcus mutans is one of the major oral bacteria. If checked flourishing, these types of bacteria cause no harm. However, when left unchecked, it will thrive in the mouth and secrete toxins and release it into the body’s bloodstream. These toxins increase the chances of developing chronic health issues.
Oil Pulling is an easy and inexpensive way to improve the balance of microorganisms in the mouth and improve our health. The whole purpose of Oil Pulling is to get rid of the oil-soluble and oil bindable toxins in the body
What is oil pulling?
Oil pulling is fundamentally a procedure in which oil is used to mouthwash and swishing. Oil pulling is a very, very old practice dates back over 3,000 years.Oil pulling helps to remove bacteria and promote oral hygiene. This practice has instantaneous and substantial effects on oral issues like halitosis, gingivitis and dental plaque. It is also said to be a fantastic detoxification method. According to Ayurveda, oil pulling purifies the entire system.
How does oil pulling help to detoxify the entire system?
According to the ayurvedic perception, each part of the tongue is associated with different organ such as the kidneys, lungs, liver, heart, small intestines, stomach, colon, and spine. Therefore, rinsing the mouth with oil for 20 minutes influence the healthy function of most of the body system, thereby helps to detoxify the entire body system.
How oil pulling outweighs brushing and flossing?
Brushing and flossing are obviously important for oral hygiene. No doubt. However, oil pulling has some special advantages. Do you know that the root canals are a prominent breeding ground for bacteria? The bacteria thrive eating the dead tissue found more in that area. You cannot brush or floss enough to get the bacteria out of the root canal. Be that as it may, 10 minutes of oil pulling 1-2 times every day can bind, trap and wipe out more microorganisms by getting into profound pockets within the teeth and into some regions around root canals that are unreachable for floss and brush.
What is the best type of oil to use for oil pulling?
You can use a high-quality carrier oil such as organic coconut oil, organic olive oil or organic sesame oil. Of all these, coconut oil is found to be most effective. One who is allergic to sesame cannot use sesame oil and olive oil is said to be a little bit harsh for the teeth.
However, avoid using any high Omega-6 or chemically produced oils like vegetable oil, canola oil, soybean oil, corn oil, etc.
How to do the oil pulling?
It is an incredibly simple procedure. Here is the guide to oil pulling who wishes to board this healthy habit.
- Take a spoonful of oil and allow it to turn to liquid in your mouth. The viscous nature of oil will go within 20 seconds when it enters your mouth.
- Now start to swish it around. You can push, pull and draw it through your teeth and around your tongue. Just like you do with water.
- The aim is to perform this for twenty minutes every morning, if possible, before your breakfast.
- It is always recommended to start the process with five minutes and eventually increasing the time to 20 min within a week. Otherwise, it can cause a bit of jaw pain. Oil pulling gives significant exercise to your jaw muscle, and hence the pain.
- When you’re done, spit the oil in the bin. Don’t spit it in the sink as it can clog. What you spit should be a thin consistency and milky white substance.
- Also, bear in mind that there is no need of vigorous swishing either. All you need is a gentle pace.
- Finally, brush your teeth as normal.
Now, after oil pulling, your teeth will appear smooth and shiny, like they’ve just had a deep clean.Never swallow the residue of oil pulling. It contains bacteria, dead skin or another residue from the mouth. The whole point of oil pulling is to get rid of these things from the body.
What are the benefits of oil pulling?
- It is a safer alternative to store-bought mouthwash that contains alcohol
- Oil pulling helps to get rid of searing shot pain caused by sensitivity of the teeth
- Oil pulling is excellent in preventing gingivitis
- Helps to get rid of bad breath and keep the tooth decay at bay
- Improves immunity
- Helps with the health of the heart