Should children be allowed to use Social media?
This question makes us think, whether is it right or wrong to allow children to use social media sites and portals. This is becoming very popular where kids are using more and more of social media than the adults. However it is very important for parents to keep a bird eye view and be familiar as to how their kids would use social media websites and monitoring becomes even more important.
Research done by some media companies show that teenagers log in to most of the websites they like, more than 10 times a day as compared to young minors log on to their favorite websites more than once a day. Younger children are also logging on to social media sites at an increasingly higher rate.
However, this topic leads to couple of questions even further and a food for thought i.e. Whether there should be a cut off age or minimum age of a child to use the social media or have their social medical presence? How their online presence should look like? Will they be safe from the social media hacks? Whether their information is safe online ? and many more such questions.
Let’s look at some pros and cons of children using social media :-
- I think social media is incredible. In case of kids using social media, they can make more friends and chat with other people and get to learn from them.
- There are plenty of good, informative and relevant websites that children can visit and stay updated with reference to the social media age.
- In today’s computer savvy work, children are becoming more and more aware of the technological advancements and are wanting to make use of it.
- They understand the importance of knowledge available on the web to enhance their short comings and face the realities of the world.
- There are numerous websites and tools available which can give a child a good start to enhance their leaning skills such as reading, writing, speaking and much more.
- In opposition to the above, social media can have a negative impact on children in terms of their habits, excessive usage of gadgets, emotional imbalance.
- The above can also lead to early age mental and emotional health hazards or risks as well.
- They could get into legal nuances.
- They could be a victim of cybercrime (unknowingly), face harassment online, face content which they shouldn’t get access to, and can lead to depression.
- Exposure to the real world at a very initial or early age of life
So all in all, it is very important for parent to drive the social media presence for their children in early ages. Social media has both positive and negative impacts and could lead to the entire life of a kid if the encounter is at an early age. Sometimes, kids can’t handle it and that’s the reality. Todays, young kids are getting more and more attracted to social media and try to make the most out of it in terms of learning new things, enhancing their knowledge, learning new technologies with social media gadgets like phone, tablets, laptops etc. and are getting well informed. Parents should promote this however keeping a tight grip on their online presence so as to avoid any online misfortunes.
Once your children start venturing onto social media, it’s important to instill some advice on how to navigate the online landscape successfully. Eventually, your children will find themselves having to make decisions online without your supervision.
Parents can lead the same by the below tips –
- Parents can edit and control the privacy settings before giving devices to children to access their social media accounts.
- Coach / Mentor you kids to use their information wisely and control what they post online.
- Should behave like a friend and follow your kids for their online presence.
- Should put privacy / parental controls on the gadgets.
- Online digital guidance and education becomes of due importance in such cases.
- Focusing more on the softer aspects line making sure that the kid use the social media in front of parents i.e. public.
- keep the time limit of children using devices and on their social media presence.
- Guide your children to be respectful of others.
- Parents also need to help children understand the impact that their “digital footprint” can have on their future reputations
Happy to know your thoughts and comments!
The post Should children use social media? Pros & Cons.. appeared first on IntelliAssist.