Still remember the good ol’ days with joysticks and bulky monitors? 1TB hard disks may now be a common sight, but did you know that people used to be excited over ads promoting 10MB hard disks? Modems were the size of radios, the Macintosh computer looked like a typewriter, and laptops reminded us of toolboxes.
We may have outlived 3.5-inch floppy disk slots, and today 10 MB is the limit for an email attachment. It took us (a mere) few decades for us to come this far. In comparison, we can now carry 64 GB (that’s 64,000 MB) of information in a drive that is the size of our thumb!
1. The Hard Disk You’ve Been Waiting For. Definitely one hard disk we won’t be waiting for in 2016, but still, this ad must be pretty impressive back then.
2. 80 Mbytes For Under $12K / 300 Mbytes For Under $20K. Talk about cut-throat prices; luckily our hard disks don’t cost as much today.
3. Seagate ST4096. But Seagate, it’s a different story today – The capacity is no longer high. The price probably is.
4. $3,459 For 10 Megabytes Hard Disk. Hmm, you can get a Mac for that price.
5. 10 Megabyte Hard Disk System: $3,695. No matter what we’re comparing, you’re definitely losing out in today’s tech market.
See more »