What is a backlink? – It is an incoming hyperlink from one webpage or website to another. It is also called an Inbound Link (IBL). In Digital Marketing it is used as part of SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Link Building is considered to be one of the major reasons for higher ranking among Search Engines. A Page with a lot of Backlinks gets ranked higher. Backlinks lead to better SERPs (Search Engine Result Pages)
For search engines that crawl the vast metropolis of the web, links (Backlinks/Link Building) are the streets between pages. Using sophisticated link analysis, the engines can discover how pages are related to each other and in what ways.
1. Backlinks to one’s Domain or website or webpage is very important
2. Backlinks should be contextual and from Quality sites
3. Backlinks should link to relevant sites
4. Ranking for relevant search terms
5. Backlinks through Broken Link Building – Websites which are changing their website address
6. Referral traffic – look at Potential referral traffic
7. Faster indexing of site
8. Influencer Outreach
9. Link the Website to local business directories – This is a very effective way to generate some interest and the visitors reaching the website through the directories are normally the target customers.
10. Share Images in Common Image Sharing websites with links to the website
11. Theme Designer Portfolio – Have our website Theme to be used/displayed by the Theme Designer Portfolio firms.
12. Backlinks can be in the form of an image as well as text. If a link is an image, the anchor link text is the alt tag of the image
13. Link reclamation – Include Links that our website still does not have yet.
14. Conduct Social Media Contest relevant to my website
15. Attempt being an editor in Wikipedia –
16. Article Submissions – Submit articles in sites accepting similar content or doing similar business.
17. Provide testimonials
18. Beta Test Products and provide reviews – Get involved in beta-testing products and provide helpful feedback. The owner will appreciate your input and link to your posted review.
19. Offer Free Stuffs in Your website – Free Downloads etc.
20. White Papers – Generate a lot of White Papers. Request Friends/peers to share the White Papers. Include a Link Back to the website.
21. Create a useful Tool that is free for the User – Like a free Survey tool, which talks about basic Health status of a person living a normal life in a certain way. It generates interest.
22. Tutorials – prepare In-depth tutorials, which will generate interest.
23. Provide Comparison Information – This is of interest to the user and the comparison can be of different subjects/topics relevant to the website niche or area of activity.
24. Create and Review Rankings and Top Companies on subjects relevant to the website
25. Press Releases – List down Press releases relevant to the website or the area of activity and post them in the press release sites to create backlinks
26. Podcasts and Slideshare and other Mediums – Converting articles into different formats to consume is a great way to gain backlinks. You can convert your article into a podcast and get it on iTunes, or you could convert it to a Slideshare presentation and get backlinks whenever people share it.
27. Discussion Boards – Be part or participate in discussion boards like Quora or LinkedIn discussions.
28. Promote in Social Networking Groups – Utilise the various social Networking Groups to promote the website.
29. Social Networking Sites – It is advised to maintain a presence on top social networking sites like Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn and Twitter. You can create an audience and share your posts on social media.
30. Social Bookmarking Sites – Provide link building to various Social Bookmarking Sites like Digg/Favoor/SiteJot/ Kinja etc.
31. Backlinks through various Online Forums – Provide Backlinks through popular online Forums
32. Digital Signatures – For all communications provide link to the website besides the Digital Signatures.
33. Do Follow Link – Comments – Leave the link to the website after posting a comment
34. Donate – Find websites of Non Profit Organizations relevant to our area of activity and willing to accept donations and link back to sites that have donated.
35. Guest Post – Relationship Building with a website – be proactive in building relationships to ensure Guest Post are regular and drive traffic to our website and thus ensuring driving traffic to the website.
36. Competition or similar Site Backlinks activity – Understand what the competition is doing and do similar activity for Backlink building.
37. Link Pages – The Request Stranger - “The Request” is as simple as finding websites that link out to sites in your niche and sending them a quick email asking for a link back to your site.
38. Link Pages – Friends & Family - Ask you friends and family to link to you, tweet about you, share stuff on Facebook, MySpace, Instagram, Vine, YouTube, and in any other way they are active on the web.
39. Brand Ambassadors – Customers – If we can have customers who are genuinely promoting the website and provide links/ Backlinks.
40. Affiliate Programs/Marketing – Link or choose good Affiliate programs and link back to the website
41. Connecting through Scribd – Use the Document sharing site Scribd to build backlinks to the website.
42. Provide Cheeky/unique content – Have these contents to the website to ensure the website content is unique and this can led to Social Media attention and links.
43. Make the site content interactive and inquisitive – Using content like Quiz and test is also a good method to build links to the website.
44. PPC – using Pay Per Click Campaign to buy paid advertising campaign to buy relevant traffic. The traffic will get the website more exposure and the visitors will link.
45. Viral Content – Using Internet Viral Content (Memes) also can lead to link building
46. Create How to Guide Contents – If the website can create content which are How to Guides, which is also a very effective method in building links.
47. RSS Feed - If you publish an RSS feed and your content is useful and regularly updated, some people will syndicate your RSS content (and some of those will provide links; unfortunately, some will not).
48.Online Class fields like Craigslist’s -