Time for the annual YouTube videos of Detroit’s New Year’s gun fire celebration!
- Gunfire starts at 5:05 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_WOPN-jtV8
- Most gunfire starts at 7:30 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSXd-axYxY8
- The fun begins at 59:30 minutes into the video, and only lasts a minute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GESpuJ_YZ5U
Mayor Duggan’s Green Light Surveillance Program was supposed to reduce crime – particularly at gas stations where muggings, theft, and car-jackings are a daily occurrence. The Green Light program consists of real-time high-definition video going straight to the Detroit Police Department. The gas stations pay $6,000 to have them installed, plus a monthly fee and put up signs all over their business. One Citgo gas station owner says Detroit criminal simply don’t care about the video – and he’s had a sharp increase in crime since he installed the cameras. Individuals or groups show up with their own shopping bags, clear off a shelf and grab whatever they want and flee long before the police ever show up. So not only is the owner out the $6,000, he’s also being robbed blind since then and losing local customers that are afraid to go in now.
Just in case you believe there is a Detroit Resurgence, here is a 9 Minute video tour of blight taken just a few days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmzH3EqafjA
And finally, in “It is a Darwin move to be anywhere near Detroit” news,
- Two bodies were found in Detroit. A mother of 3 children had a restraining order against her estranged-husband – who shot and killed her and a friend. Tips lead to the arrest of the murderer.
- An SUV cruised through a stop sign (the usual Detroit practice) but unfortunately he ran into a DDOT bus and 3 people were injured.
- Downtown Ann Arbor has had a rash of 5 home invasions. Police caught the suspect hiding in a bathtub, after his latest theft, and arrested 62-year old Michael Brooks of Detroit.
- Wallet Hub’s latest ranking of cities to find a job has Detroit at second worst: 181 out of 182 cities. They evaluated 26-job related indicators and only 1 factor for Detroit wasn’t not in the very bottom: average commute time. Well, when no one is employed, there isn’t a lot of commuting traffic!
The post Detroit Realities #610 appeared first on Detroit Desurgence.