As much as I love makeup, it's something I don't treat myself to as much as I used to. I think it's because there are other 'more important' (to me personally) things I need to spend my money on now. However, at Christmas I was lucky to unwrap some lovely beauty bits including two eyeshadow palettes from The Body Shop I'd had my eye on, an eyeliner, eye crayon and mascara set from Autograph and a beautiful floral hand cream set from Marks and Spencer. My mum also treated me to my favourite perfume, Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf. It's an absolutely gorgeous sweet, floral perfume that stays on the skin all day.
I feel like I've been a bit lazy when it comes to beauty and skincare in particular over the last few months, so I've decided to come up with a few must and must nots or 'beauty resolutions' if you like...
1. Only purchase beauty / skincare if I need it - I'm trying to save money this year so hoping to only purchase beauty and skincare if I have run out of something and really need it.
2. Choose quality beauty products - This may slightly contradict my first point - especially with me saying I want to save money but investing in quality makeup and skincare is something that's important to me. I'm not talking 'high end' / designer brands but brands I trust, like The Body Shop and Autograph @ Marks and Spencer. Their products aren't the cheapest but they're very well made, great on my skin and not tested on animals.
3. Re-establish a 'skincare routine' - I've become lazy when it comes to taking off my makeup and I mean REALLY lazy. Most nights it's a quick baby wipe and some nights I don't bother at all, which I know is so, so bad. The 'old me' would be horrified. But as a tired mum it's something I just can't be arsed to do sometimes. Anyway because I want to keep my skin looking as youthful as possible I'm going to get back into doing the full shebang - a proper cleanse, tone and moisturise, with added serums wherever possible. I'm sure I'll update you on how I get on in a future post!
4. Wash my makeup brushes regularly - Another bad beauty habit of mine is not washing my makeup brushes very often. I left them far too long last time and had to do a very deep clean the other day! I don't really want to be putting old makeup and bacteria back onto my skin so I'm going to do my best to spot clean (I've bought a spray from Boots) and wash my brushes on a regular basis.
5. Find more cruelty-free brands - If you look at some of the products featured in my post, you'll see that not all of them are cruelty-free. But I'm hoping to find more cruelty-free brands this year and buy from them (when I need to make a purchase) instead. If you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!
I realise in the grand scheme of things these 'beauty resolutions' aren't all that important but if you're looking for more deep and meaningful content, I suggest checking out the '5 things I learnt in 2017.'
Post contains affiliate links.