Looking for a cooler place to visit in summer? Still want an unusual experience? South Africa offers options that for travel in a moderate climate May through September. (It’s tropical, and will be hot and humid during winter months).
A sizable country with a varied history, each of its regions has its own attractions. And, Pretoria is one of them, sitting somewhat to the center of northeastern South Africa. As the nation’s Executive Branch Capital, it is a university center and research hub. Its Dutch, German and British Colonial cultural and political history has produced a metropolitan city where people speak Sepedi, Sesotho, Setswana, Xitsonga, isiZulu, Afrikaans and English.
Scholars, business professionals, and tourists
Using the Protea Hotel Pretoria Centurion, South Africa as your headquarters, you might ask the Concierge to arrange unique adventures:
- A tour of Soweto offers a review of South Africa’s decisive recent history. You’ll stop at the Mandela House Museum, the Pietersen Museum and Memorial, and more.
- Gauteng Province is the home of Centurion and The Cradle of Humankindwhere the first hominid (Australopithecus) was discovered in 1924. Tours take visitors to two additional caves where digging continues.
- The Irene Dairy Farmis a pleasant drive towards Johannesburg. The country farm has been run by the same family since 1896. It will delight children traveling with you and charm the adults. You can purchase milk, ice cream, and bake goods, or you can dine at two open restaurants.
- Visitors schedule their trips to coincide with major events at the Heartland Arena, everything from African Acrobatics to major business expos.
- The Centurion Mall is close enough to walk to, or you can take a short hop drive to the Irene Valley Mall with its lush landscaping.
- Emanzini, the hotel’s restaurant, serves an international menu with South African touches, or you can make reservations at the multi-award winning The Godfather within walking distance.
- You can mountain bike or horseback ride among zebra and giraffe at Groenkloof Nature Reserve or zipline and enjoy aerial acrobatics at Acrobranch.
- Fishing is open to visitors on the northern and western shores of Rietviel Nature Preserve, or a day at the Pretoria National Botanical Gardenstakes you through 50 hectares of plants, trees and flowers exclusive to South Africa ecosystems.
Centurion at the center of things
Centurion takes up the intersection of major highways connecting Johannesburg and Pretoria. A popular and picturesque suburb of Pretoria, its population is economically secure, many of them working in the Centurion business district and living in upscale communities. Near the water and home to several country clubs, Centurion connects country and city.
Close enough but far enough away from the big city vibe at Pretoria center city, Centurion offers access in many directions to South Africa’s historical, natural, and cultural events centers. If you’re looking for an out of the box vacation or family tour, you can find deals and discounts to take your there and keep you entertained.
This post first appeared on Quiet Country Life — Food, Travel, Books, Family, Fashion, please read the originial post: here