For a healthy make-ahead breakfast or snack, try making granola at home!
When I make granola I go by this rough formula: For every 1 cup dry ingredients, add 1 tablespoon fat and 1 tablespoon sweetener. If I don’t want to use oil I use a whisked egg white- it makes for a really crisp, crunchy granola. Always bake at 325F for45minutes and stir three times while baking to avoid unevenly browned clumps.
For this easy granola recipe I used just over three cups of dry ingredients, so I added three tablespoons of cold-pressed olive oil and three tablespoons of pure maple syrup. You can replace one tablespoon of the oil or the syrup with water if you want to cut down, but the formula does not make a super sweet cereal- just a delicious, nutty granola. By adding finely chopped dates to the cooled mixture, you’re getting a varied texture and a hit of natural sweetness which really makes it stellar.
- 2 cups rolled oats (GF if necessary)
- 1 cup chopped nuts (I used half pecans half almonds)
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons cold-pressed olive oil
- 3 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 10 soft dates, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine olive oil, maple syrup, and vanilla in the bottom of a mixing bowl. Add oats, nuts, and seeds. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Spread mixture on the tray and bake for 20 minutes, stirring twice during baking. (Check the granola after 15 minutes to make sure it’s not burning.)
- Let cool on the tray and then stir the chopped dates through the mixture. Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to two weeks.
The post DELISH NUT AND DATE GRANOLA appeared first on Stimuli Magazine.