This recipe is highly nutritious. Zucchinis are a good source of vitamin A, vitamin B1, B6, B2, folate, magnesium, potassium, copper, zinc, phosphorus and protein. And the stuffing includes parsley, tomato, onion, mint, lemon juice and extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Parsley is an excellent source of anti-oxidant nutrients, iron, vitamins K, C and A and folic acid. Tomatoes are also rich in vitamin C and beta-carotene, manganese and vitamin E. Together with the nutritional properties of lemon, onion and extra virgin olive oil, this healthy vegan Mediterranean diet recipe of Lebanese Stuffed Zucchini is highly nutritious and provide us with strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients, which are good to destroy the free radicals and to help prevent cancer.
PREP TIME 40 mins
COOK TIME 30 mins
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 10 mins
Author: Margarita @ Tasty Mediterraneo
Cuisine: Mediterranean Diet
Serves: 12 stuffed zucchinis
12 Small Lebanese zucchini
50g (1/4 cup) White rice
A large bunch of fresh organic parsley, finely chopped
2 Medium tomatoes, thinly diced
1 Small onion, thinly chopped
A few leaves of fresh organic mint, finely chopped
1 Large lemon, freshly squeezed
3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
1 Teaspoon sea salt (or salt to taste)
A pinch of freshly grounded black pepper
1. Have all the vegetables well washed and prepared as indicated in the ingredients description.
2. Trim off the stem end of the zucchini. Dip that end of the zucchini in sea salt; repeat the same process with all the zucchinis and let them aside for 10 minutes. This will help to soften the zucchini flesh to scoop it out more easily. After the 10 minutes in salt, with the help of a special spoon, or an apple corer, scoop out the flesh of the zucchini, being careful enough not to make any hole. (Do not throw out the zucchini flesh; you can chop it up and use it for example to prepare an omelette, to sauté it with some chopped onion, …)
3. In a mixing bowl combine the thinly diced tomatoes, the thinly chopped parsley, the thinly chopped onion, the thinly chopped mint leaves, the freshly squeezed lemon juice, the EVOO, the rice, salt to taste and a pinch of freshly grounded black pepper.
4. Stuff each zucchini with the rice mix ¾ full.
5. Place the stuffed zucchinis in a saucepan, cover with water and cook at low heat for 25-30 minutes.
6. Remove from the heat and serve hot or cold.