These are the salad days. The Wrap days. The low-carb dog days of summer where suddenly May's pants don't fit and I am afloat with so much bloat I can be my own life preserver. These times call for a bit of leaning out, post birthday gluttony.
I knew I was doing it: happy hours, pizza, french fries, wine tasting, birthday brunches and day drinking. Who did I think I was? I'm a nimble minx in the gym but a gluttonous ogre in the kitchen.
I started my meal prep this week with an easy favorite - ground turkey wrap. I use these as base for a taco salad, or wrap them up in lettuce leaves topped with avocado and salsa for a Mexican flair. I totally cheated and used Trader Joe's taco seasoning packet this time around. You can totally change the flavor profile though -- go for ginger and teriyaki for a more Asian style wrap, topped with crunch won tons or water chestnuts.
I had some extra kidney beans lying around, (hey, they are a good carb!) so I threw them in.
Ground Turkey Lucky Lettuce Wraps
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 green bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
1 small red onion, diced
Finely chopped garlic (as much as you like, I usually do 2-3 cloves)
1/2 packet of Trader Joe's Taco Seasoning (or any seasoning brand of your choice)
1/2 cup of kidney beans (optional - or other beans if you choose)
Cilantro to garnish (optional)
1 tbs olive oil
- In a medium skillet, brown the ground turkey. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the pan with olive oil and add the bell pepper, red onions. Saute until onions are soft.
- Add the garlic, ground turkey and seasoning according to directions - some call for a few tablespoons of water.
- Throw in the kidney beans. Stir together until mixed and garlic has become fragrant.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve over a bed of salad or wrapped in lettuce with salsa and avocado etc.