Topical Compounds can cure the chronic Pain of patient and that also faster than oral medication. Topical medications include lotions, creams, ointments, patches, and pastes. They are applied to the skin on that part where there is pain. Lotions, ointments, and creams usually produce a local effect
Like how oral medications are customized same way even topical medication can be customized for each individual patient through the process of compounding. Compounding is the art and science of modifying medications for patients. Topical compounds are made from scratch. Several ingredients are mixed together in the exact strength and dosage that is required by the patient. This method allows the compounding pharmacist to work with the patient and the prescriber to modify a medication to meet the patient’s unique needs.
Topical compounds are made for the patient who is either allergic to oral medication or if the oral medication is not giving any relief in the pain. Topical compounds are customized
Topical compounds are customized combinations of the following medications:
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory (NSAIDS): Ketoprofen, Piroxicam, Ibuprofen
- Muscle Relaxants: Cyclobenzaprine, Baclofen, Guaifenasin
- Anesthetics: Lidocaine, Prilocaine
- Vasodilators: Nifedipine, Verapamil
- Pain Blockers: Ketamine
- Nerve Agents: Amitriptyline, Gabapentin
- Other Pain Medications: Menthol, Capsaicin, Clonidine
These ingredients are combined in a special cream that penetrates the skin easily to provide relief from pain.
The topical pain cream treats pain from neuropathy, arthritis, injury, soreness and any other area of pain. Every patient has unique pain from other and each person body is different from other, so topical creams are customized for each patient depending on the type of pain they are suffering.
Topical compounds treat the area of pain faster than the oral pain killers as topical creams are applied directly on the affected areas which mean higher concentration at the site of application and will alleviate your chronic pain.
Topical compounds should be applied two top four times a day to cure mild to chronic pain.
The benefits of topical compounds are:
- Decreases inflammation as it is made from anti inflammatory ingredient.
- Pain relief directly where it hurts
- Relief starts more quickly than with an oral painkiller
- Fewer side effects
- Non –addictive formulations
- Good for people who have difficulty swallowing pills or allergic to pills.
- Improved patient compliance and outcomes
- Reduces chances of organ toxicity
- Pain is relieved at steady rate and relief lasts longer