Onion For Hair Growth.
Hair loss often causes mental stress and concerns in many people.
It affects their appearance and confidence levels.
Can onion juice regrow hair:
Onion Juice is one of the most effective natural remedies that induces proper growth of hair.
Benefits of onion juice for hair growth:
Besides treating acute hair loss, onion juice is also highly effective in promoting healthy Hair Growth.
Indeed, incorporating onion juice in your regular hair care routine is safe.
Onions are also a cost effective way of supplying your hair with the nourishment it needs mainly because they are inexpensive and readily available.
7 Tried and Tested Recipes Using Onion For Hair Growth
1. Onion Juice For Hair Growth
These are the most straightforward ways of reaping the benefits of the sulfur in onions. There are 2 options:
1a. Pure Onion Juice
- Extract the juice from an onion.
- Moisten your hair.
- Liberally apply the juice to your scalp ensuring you get down to the roots.
- Leave it to soak in for at least 30 minutes. Longer if you wish.
- Rinse. To rinse your hair you can use water or a mild shampoo such as baby shampoo.
Repeat the procedure at least 3 times a week. As with all natural remedies it will take at least a month for results to show themselves.
1b. Onion Juice and Water
- Juice an onion.
- Mix the juice with water. The ideal ratio is 1 part juice to 2 parts water.
- As above, leave for at least 30 minutes to allow your follicles absorb the goodness.
- Rinse, as above.
- You can also wrap your head in a towel or something similar to aid absorption.
2. Honey and Onion for Hair Growth
Using honey and onion for hair growth has proven to be one of the most successful home remedies for thinning hair. As with the pure onion juice method, there are 2 alternatives here also.
2a. Onion Juice and Honey
- Get the juice of an onion.
- Add a small amount of honey. Half a teaspoon should do the trick!
- Massage the mixture into your scalp.
- Let it soak for 45 mins to 1 hour.
- Rinse your head clean.
- This solution should be repeated every day for best results.
2b. Onion Pulp or Chopped/Diced Onions and Honey
- Chop or dice an onion. Watch your fingers!
- Mash the onion using a potato masher or pestle and mortar.
- Add roughly half a teaspoon of honey.
- Apply it generously to your hair, again, ensuring you get in at the hair roots.
- Leave it for about an hour.
- Rinse your hair well.
This is recommended for daily use. Here is an article from 1981 that mentions using onion and honey for hair. To Put It Baldly: Treatment of Hair Loss Is a Losing Proposition
3. Lemon and Onion for Hair Growth
It’s a little known fact and not only is onion and lemon juice great for encouraging hair growth. It’s also wonderful at fighting dandruff. Lemon juice is also reputed to halt hair loss.
Lemon and Onion Juice for Hair Growth
- Get the juice from an onion.
- Cut a lemon in half and extract the juice from it.
- Add the lemon juice to the onion juice.
- Massage the concoction into your hair and crown.
- Let it soak in for about an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly
Without getting too sidetracked:
The mixture of onion juice and lemon juice not only helps hair growth and reduces dandruff but is also a treatment for melasma.
Melasma is a skin disorder which results in dark patches or discoloration of the skin.
The procedure is slightly different when trying to control melasma.
Lemon and Onion Juice for Melasma
- Take 2 teaspoons of onion juice.
- Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix well.
- Wash the area to be treated thoroughly
- Using cotton, swap the affected area with the mixture
- Be sure to avoid your eyes if applying to your face
- Leave it for 20 minutes
- Wash the mixture off with warm water
- Repeat regularly and the dark patches should be gone in weeks.
4. Yogurt and Onion Juice for Hair Growth
Using onion juice and yogurt is another way how to apply onion on hair for improving hair growth. The steps below are similar to the application of pure onion juice, honey and lemon juice.
- Murder an onion and steal the juice.
- Add a generous tablespoon of yogurt.
- Stir the 2 ingredients well.
- Rub the mixture into your head. Make sure you get the whole scalp.
- Leave it for an hour or so.
- Rinse well using water or a mild shampoo.
5. Coconut Oil and Onion for Hair Growth
When coconut oil is combined with onion juice hair growth speeds up.
- Juice an onion
- Add a small amount of coconut oil.
- Massage your crown with the mixture.
- Follow the steps above. Leave it in, then rinse it.
6. Beer and Onion Juice to Help Hair Grow
In order to get this home remedy to work for hair growth follow the steps for the coconut oil, above, and replace the oil with beer.
The get the most out of this recipe use it twice a week.
7. Rum and Onion for Hair Growth
This natural home remedy is great for people that detest the smell of onion and still want to reap the benefits of onion juice for hair growth.
- Pour 2 glasses of rum.
- Chop an onion.
- Take one of the glass of rum and add the chopped onion.
- Leave it overnight or prepare it in the morning and leave it for the day. DON’T PUT IT IN THE REFRIGERATOR
- When it’s done, strain the pieces of onion.
- Massage your head with the liquid.
The awesome thing about using this solution is that it can also be used as a hair rinse.
So now you have 7 great recipes to help you use onion for hair growth.
Keep reading if you’d like to know:
- What the hell is in an onion that makes it so good for hair growth?
- How will I get the smell out of my hair?
- Is it safe?
- What will I need?
- How will I extract the onion juice?
- Will I cry or will my eyes sting?
Why are there so many benefits of onion juice for hair growth?
Onion has unique healing properties which include:
Cleansing, nourishing, antibacterial and stimulating powers.
This reduces chances of losing hair due to such infections.
Onions contain various important vitamins and minerals including;
- vitamin B6 and C
Although sulfur is present in all cells in our bodies, the greatest concentration is in the skin, hair and nails.
Here’s a short video on onion for hair growth that will help you understand.
Sulfur is often referred to as the “healing mineral” or “beauty mineral”.
This is because of its unique ability to decrease inflammation and promote circulation.
Sulfur is also necessary for the formation of collagen tissue.
The maintenance of nails, skin and hair.
Some of the signs of sulfur deficiency include:
- dry skin
- balding hair
- weak nails
- thinning hair
- brittle hair
- shedding hair
The supply of sufficient amounts of sulfur can easily jump-start hair growth.
Especially, in people with deficiencies.
Therefore, onions are highly effective in stimulating hair re-growth and regenerating hair follicles.
Mainly because of their naturally concentrated sulfur compounds.
Since hair grows from hair follicles, increased blood supply especially to the scalp brings nourishment and nutrients to hair follicles which promote hair growth.
Besides increasing the strength of hair:
Onion juice also prevents breakage and thinning.
As a result, you can achieve increased hair volume by simply applying onion juice to your scalp regularly.
So, does onion help hair growth?
In a word.
Onions and Hair Growth: Is it safe?
Using onion juice to prevent hair loss and promote healthy hair growth is completely safe.
It does not cause any allergies and side effects.
Therefore, you can use onion juice as a safe and cheap way of promoting hair growth.
Onions can also be used as a natural remedy for bald patches or receding hair line.
Besides controlling hair loss, onion juice is also highly effective in preventing other problems such as fungal infections, yeast infection, dandruff and premature graying of hair.
How can you get rid of the strong smell after you put onion juice on your hair and scalp?
This remedy is highly effective in achieving the desired results.
After rubbing onions on scalp you just need to keep the onion extract on the scalp and hair for at least thirty minutes.
But, you can also keep it longer.
If you can bear the smell.
Rinse off the onion extract using a mild shampoo and water.
Repeat the procedure thrice a week for two months to get the desired result.
Mild shampoos mainly use amphoteric and non-ionic surfactants and the mildest forms can be found in baby shampoos.
Mild shampoos are suitable who have sensitive skin, low oil production and children mainly because they don’t cause irritation and allergic reactions.
Another option is to use the “Rum and Onion” remedy above.
What will I need to reap the benefits of onion juice for hair growth?
- 1 onion
- A knife
- A blender
- A strainer
- A bowl
- A mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons
How will I extract the onion juice?
Extracting the juice is quite a simple process and there are a few common ways to do it
- Use a blender
- Chop the onion in half and juice it like a lemon
- Garlic crusher
- A Grater
- How to apply onion on hair
Make sure to strain or sieve the onion bits out of the juice. The alternative is picking bits of onion out of your hair in the shower. Onion Dandruff.
Will I cry or will my eyes sting?
The nasty thing about onions is when they get upset they can make our eyes water.
There is some simple science behind this:
There are 3 reasons why onions make our eyes water..
- a tunic of outer leaves (the brown layer)
- scales (the white edible part)
- basal plate ( the “hairy part” or the “root”)
… and when we chop the basal plate an enzyme is released.
A reaction occurs in the onion and a gas is produced.
An acid forms when that gas mixes with water.
Hence, we get acid in our eyes when the gas hits our moist eyes.
Thankfully, some simple steps can be taken to avoid “acid eye“.
This list isn’t exhaustive but should make chopping the onions less of a nightmare.
- Wear swimming goggles.
- Contact lenses also work.
- Use a very sharp knife. Like deadly sharp!
- Place the onions in a freezer for 10-15 minutes before chopping.
- Cut the onion while it’s submerged under water.
- Whistle (Yes, whistle) while you’re chopping.
For a more comprehensive list you can visit the wiki.
These are the benefits of onion juice for hair growth.
I hope this post has covered all the bases with regards using onion for hair growth and helps you weigh up your options when you compare it to shampoo that boosts hair growth.
Please feel free to leave a comment below if you have anything to add or any questions to ask and don’t forget to share these great recipes with your friends.
The post How To Use Onion For Hair Growth : (including 7 great recipes) 7 appeared first on Hair GrowR.