Like when you get a good skin care or a new haircut, having well-manicured nails will make you become more beautiful. Who doesn’t want strong nails that don’t break even when you do hard things? But if your nails are dull, unhealthy and very easy to break, don’t worry because a lot of people are like you. It is a common problem. Nails contain a lot of laminated layers of keratin-which is a protein. If your nails are healthy, they are uniform in color, smooth, without grooves or pits. On the other hand, weak nails don’t grow easily but very easy to break. Unhealthy nails are often caused by improper care. But you can fix this very easy by a healthy lifestyle, a proper Nail care and some simple home remedies .
Here are the top 20 most effective tips for how to make your nails stronger which are simple you to apply at home in order to make your nails stronger as well as boost up your confidence in appearance…
1. Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E is very good for our health, especially if you want to stronger your nails. Vitamin E contains moisturizing property that can help you keep your nail healthy and hydrated .
- Extract the vitamin E oil by breaking open a vitamin E capsule.
- Apply this oil on your nails.
- After that, massage your nails in a gently way for a couple of minutes.
- Follow this solution every day before going to bed for a couple of weeks.
Note: You should consult your doctor before taking vitamin E capsule. For more information about the benefits and applications of vitamin E oil, please read: Home Remedies for Scar Removal and Hangnails.
2. Massage Your Nails
This is an easy but effective way to strengthen your nails. Massage your nails will improve blood circulation. As a result, your nails will become healthier and stronger.
Massage your nails regularly. You can use almond oil, coconut oil, nail’s cream or moisturizing lotion to massage. It will keep your nails moisturized as well.
- Choose one of these products and apply it on every nail.
- Massage your nails gently (5 to 10 minutes).
- After that, wear cotton gloves then go to sleep.
- Wash your nails with warm water on the next morning.
- Do this every day for a few weeks.
3. Eat Protein-Based Foods
Experts suggest that you should increase the protein intake if you want to maintain the healthy nails because nails are made of a protein called keratin. Lack of protein may cause white spots on your nails. As a result, it will make your nails weak .
- Eat protein-based foods like low-fat dairy, soybeans, chickens, beans, eggs, nuts, tofu, lean meats and seafood.
- Another option is drinking protein shakes or adding protein powder into a glass of milk.
Note: Remember to consult your doctor before taking protein supplement.
4. Olive Oil
This is another effective way to deal with weak nails. This oil can repair damage and soften nails. It can also moisturize the nails. As a result, your nails will become strong and healthy.
- Use olive oil to massage your nails gently.
- Cover the top and underside of your nails and wait for 15 minutes before using water to wash it off.
- Follow this solution 2 to 3 times every day.
- You can also add warm olive oil (3 teaspoons) into a glass of lemon juice then mix them together.
- Use a cotton swab to apply this mixture to your nails.
- Wait for a few minutes then wear soft, cotton gloves on both hands then go to bed.
- The next morning, use water to wash if off.
- Do this every day for the best results.
You can find out more about the benefits and applications of olive oil at: Home Remedies for Whiteheads and Dry and Rough Hands.
Beer can cure weak nails because of the silicon content in it. Beer also contains potassium, biotin and selenium that can strengthen your nails.
- Warm a tablespoon of olive oil in the microwave.
- Mix it with beer and apple cider vinegar (1 tablespoon each).
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 15 minutes.
- Follow this solution several times a week.
6. Increase Biotin Intake
Another solution to make your nails stronger is increasing your biotin intake. Biotin will build nail thickness and hardness. It can reduce the risk of splitting as well .
Eat rich –biotin foods like carrots, corn, egg yolks, lentils, sweet potatoes, salmon, almonds, soybeans and fortified cereals .
Another option is taking a biotin supplement. You should ask your doctor for the right dosage .
7. Green Tea
It is one of the natural ways to make your nail healthy. Green tea can strengthen your nails and prevent brittle nails due to the antioxidants that content in it. In addition, it can get rid of yellow discoloring.
- Brew a cup of green tea and wait for a few minutes.
- Soak your nails in it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do this remedy for 2 times a week.
You can also prepare another nail soak by mixing a pinch of salt, some drops of wheat germ oil and 2 teaspoons of green tea.
- Use this mixture to soak your nails for 5 minutes and then clean it off with a dry cloth.
- Do this tip for 2 times a week.
Another option is mixing coconut oil (or Aloe Vera gel) with some drops of green tea essential oil. Massage your nails with this mixture.
- Repeat it 1 to 2 times a week.
Green tea is an extremely popular household item as well as a home remedy. You can find out more at: Home Remedies for Sore Throat and Increase Stamina and Energy.
One of the natural ways to make your nails stronger is using flaxseeds because of the micronutrients content in flaxseeds like lecithin, B vitamins, zinc, protein, potassium and magnesium. Moreover, the omega-3 fatty acid content in flaxseeds can make your nails become healthier.
Include flaxseeds in your diet. You can add ground flaxseed (2 tablespoons) to your smoothies or cereal.
Another option on how to harden nails is applying flaxseed oil on your nails and massage them for several minutes then wear gloves on. You should do this tip before going to bed.
9. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is very useful to promote nail health because it contains some nutrients like potassium, iron, magnesium and iron. Furthermore, it can prevent and treat nail fungus due to its acidic nature .
- Add water and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in equal amounts into a small bowl then mix them together.
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this solution once every day for a couple of weeks.
- You can also add raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon) in a cup of water and drink it 3 times daily.
10. Tea Tree Oil
Another kind of oil that can strengthen your nails is tea tree oil. It can treat and prevent fungal infections due to its antiseptic property- which is one of the causes of weak nails. In addition, tea tree oil can get rid of yellow and discolored nails .
- Add some drops of tea tree oil in a small bowl of warm water.
- Soak your nails in this bowl for 3 minutes.
- Repeat this tip for several times a week.
- You can also use a mixture of 4 to 5 drops of tea tree oil and ½ teaspoon of jojoba oil or vitamin E oil.
- Use this mixture to apply on your nails then massage gently for several minutes and wait for a couple of minutes before washing it off with warm water.
- Do this remedy once a week.
11. Stop Biting Your Nails
Many people have a habit of biting their nails. It is not a good habit because it makes your nails become ugly and unhealthy.
Stop biting your nails by applying bitter-tasting polishes on your nails.
You can also chew gums to stop you from biting your nails.
Don’t wear polish all the time:
Wearing polish all the time has a bad effect to your nails because it will stain your nails. You should only polish your nails for a few weeks. You can use nude polish on occasion.
12. Eat Less Sugar
Many people don’t know that sugar have a bad effect to your nails. So if you eat less sugar, your nails won’t break easily and they will be stronger.
You can provide sugar by having more natural food items or adding natural sweetener to your drink.
You can eat fruits instead of sugary desserts.