Acetaminophen is an active ingredient in hundreds of medications. It is basically used as a pain reliever and a fever reducer to treat many health issues such as muscle aches, headache, toothaches, arthritis, fever, and more.
Medications With Acetaminophen
Acetaminophen is the most common drug ingredient in America. More than 600 medications contain acetaminophen. These 600 medications include prescription as well as medications available without a prescription, also called “over-the-counter,” or “OTC” medicines.
How Much Acetaminophen To Take?
The dose of acetaminophen will depend on the product you are using. Make sure to take your medications as prescribed by your doctor. If you’re taking OTC drugs, check the product label and follow the directions very carefully.
Note: If your drug contains acetaminophen, make sure take the medication as directed on the label or box. Moreover, make sure to check drug labels properly to know whether your drugs contain acetaminophen or not. If you are taking a prescription drug for pain, ask your pharmacist if it has acetaminophen in it. If you’re alcoholic, consult with your doctor to know whether you can take acetaminophen drugs or not.
How To Take Acetaminophen Safely?
Acetaminophen overdose can lead to various health issues, even death. So make sure to take acetaminophen as prescribed by your doctor or recommended on drug labels. Here are some tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Take Acetaminophen only in the amount as recommended on the label. Taking too much of Acetaminophen, or taking it too often, can lead to liver damage in a day or two. (If recommended doses are not controlling your pain, contact your health care provider for advice.)
- Don’t take more than one drug that contains acetaminophen at a time. For example, if there is acetaminophen in your cold medicine, do not take another acetaminophen product to treat a headache.
- Don’t give acetaminophen to children of age 17 years or below. Consult with your health care provider before giving acetaminophen to your children. In case of any trouble, consult your healthcare provider immediately.
- Acetaminophen drug is not safe for you, if you’re an alcoholic. Make sure to consult with your doctor before taking it.
- Make sure that all your medications are stored properly and out of reach of your children. Store them with securely closed caps, so that children can’t swallow them.
What If You Take Too Much Acetaminophen?
Acetaminophen is a safe drug if taken in the right amount. But acetaminophen overdose can lead to various health issues such as liver damage, even death. If you or your child has taken too much acetaminophen accidentally, call a poison control center right away at 1-800-222-1222.
What Should I Avoid While Taking Acetaminophen?
Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using any other cold, allergy, pain, or sleep medication. Taking certain medicines together that contains acetaminophen can lead to a fatal overdose. So make sure to check drug label carefully to know whether that medicine contains acetaminophen or APAP.
The post How To Use Acetaminophen Safely? appeared first on WiseRX.
This post first appeared on WiseRx Discount Card Blog | Discount On Prescripti, please read the originial post: here