Medicines play an important role in treating many health issues.It is necessary to dispose of medications when they are no longer needed. Disposing of medicines properly reduce the chances accidental exposure or intentional misuse. Here are some tips for you to consider when disposing of expired, unwanted, or unused medicines.
Drugs With Specific Disposal Instructions
1. Actiq(Oral Transmucosalfentanyl Citrate)
For opened Actiq units –
Make sure not to Flush unused units, handles, or blister packages of Actiqdown the Toilet. If some amount of medicine is left after completing the dose, keep the handle under hot running water until the medicine gets drained and then throw the handle away out of reach of children and pets.
For unopened Actiq units –
- Remove one Actiq unit from its blister package and hold it over the toilet bowl.
- Cut the medicine with wire-cutting pliers and drop it into the toilet.
- Make sure to throw away the handle out of reach of children and pets.
- Flush the toilet twice after 5 Actiq units have been cut. Ensure not to flush more than 5 Actiq units at a time.
2. Baraclude (entecavir)
- Tablet – Flush them down the toilet.
- Oral Solution – Pour the solution down the sink.
3. Avinza (morphine sulfate extended-release)
You can dispose of Avinza drug by flushing its capsules down the toilet.
Flush Demerol tablets/syrup down the toilet.
You can flush Dolophine tablets down the toilet.
6. Estrogel (estradiol gel)
Unused gel should be disposed of thoroughly by rinsing it down the sink or throwing it in the trash in a manner to avoid accidental exposure or ingestion by household members or pets.
7. Opana15/Opana ER (oxymorphone)
Flush its tablets down the toilet.
8. Videx22/Videx EC23
Flush tablets or capsules down the toilet or pour oral liquid down the link.
9. Xyrem (sodium oxybate)
- Handle according to state and federal regulations.
- Flush oral solution down the toilet or pour it down the sink.
Moreover, you can also take advantage of community pharmaceutical take-back programs. Take back programs allow you to bring unused drugs to a central location for proper disposal.
The post Tips To Dispose Of Specific Unwanted Or Expired Drugs appeared first on WiseRX.