Molasses is a form of thick syrup and to make refined sugar for mass consumption, when the sugar cane is processed then this thick syrup is produced which is called ‘Molasses’. Whereas the unhealthy and toxic refined sugar is intended for our supermarket shelves that contain all the nutrients and minerals absorbed by the plant.
This is the highly nutritious molasses that are more likely to be sold as livestock feed instead. Fortunately, as baking ingredients like mineral supplements and sugar substitutes, various grades of molasses are now being sold to us and the nutritional value of molasses is becoming better-known. In the case of Blackstrap Molasses, this is especially true as it is the most nutritious and highest grade of molasses.
Different Types of molasses
When a sugar cane is mashed and then boiled, it creates cane syrup then the second boiling of this cane syrup yields molasses and the third boil leaves Blackstrap molasses. It is important to note that in the refining process of sugar cane it refers to just boiling and not any chemical process in involved in it.
Sometimes, in the process of refining beneficial parts of a substance are removed but in the case of sugar cane, the beneficial and healthy parts of the plant are retained. Some sources are even considered as s superfood, B-Vitamins, high in Iron, Magnesium, and other healthy nutrients. Three types of molasses are light, dark and blackstrap.
- Light: The first boiling of sugar cane can produce this light type of molasses also called as cane syrup. This type of molasses is usually lighter in color and can be un-sulphured or sulphured. To act as a preservative, the sulphured molasses can be treated with the sulphur dioxide. Typically, from young sugar cane, this type of molasses is extracted and the preservative is needed. This light molasses is typically not the best type to use because some people have gene mutations that can make them negatively react to sulphur. Un-sulphured does not need any preservative and is usually extracted from the ripe sugarcane. This type of molasses sometimes referred to as “mild” or “Barbados” molasses.
- Dark: Dark molasses can be produced after the second boiling of sugar cane in which more sugar is extracted from the cane syrup. As compared to the lighter molasses, this dark type of molasses is less sweet and is often used in baking and cooking. Most of the people are familiar with this type of molasses then the lighter type as it is often used in the gingerbread cookies.
- Blackstrap: Blackstrap can be produced after the third boiling of cane syrup and this type of molasses is the healthiest form among all. Blackstrap contains most of the nutrients and vitamins, but it does not work well in many recopies and is also the least sweet. Blackstrap molasses is the healthiest type of molasses and it contains high amount manganese, iron, magnesium, copper, calcium and so many other healthy nutrients.
Healthy Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap molasses is touted as a superfood because it contains minerals and vital vitamins like magnesium, iron, vitamin B6 and selenium. Blackstrap molasses have strong nutritional value with so many healthy benefits that are:
- Friendly Sweetener for Diabetes: As blackstrap molasses contains the least amount of sugar so one of the main benefits of blackstrap molasses is that it is a safe and friendly sweetener for diabetic patients. Blackstrap molasses has a moderate glycemic load of 55, unlike refined sugar. It is a healthy and good sugar substitute for all the diabetic patients and for those individuals who are seeking to avoid the blood sugar spikes. Moreover, one serving of blackstrap molasses contains only 32 calories and zero fat. It is not only healthy and suitable for diabetics but also preferable for the weight loss diet. You can also add blackstrap molasses in the baking sweet treats as it gives a distinctive rich flavor to gingerbread cookies.
- Blackstrap Molasses benefits for Hair: Blackstrap molasses not only provide essential minerals to the body but is also beneficial to remove the frizziness in permed, bleached or colored hair. It contains an important trace mineral whose peptides are beneficial for rebuilding the skin structure that supports the healthy growth of hair. One serving of Blackstrap molasses which is two tablespoons contains RDI of Copper approximately 14 percent that is highly beneficial for the healthy hair growth. The consumption of Blackstrap molasses for long-term has been linked to improving the hair growth, hair quality and even the restoration of original hair color not only in men but also in women. It’s a pretty bad idea to pour this sticky syrup directly into your hair so the proper way to apply the thick mixture of blackstrap molasses to your hair is to mix it with warm water and leave it for 15 minutes. It can also be combined with other hair-healthy ingredients like in the coconut milk or with your daily shampoo.
- Bone Booster: We all know that in order to get healthy and strong bones, calcium is needed but not everyone knows the importance of magnesium as magnesium is also beneficial for the growth of healthy and strong bones.This thick mixture of blackstrap contains both magnesium and calcium so it can also help you to guard against osteoporosis. It is recommended to take 5 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses in a day that contains 50 percent of calcium, 38 percent of magnesium and 95 percent of iron. Apart from adding it to different recipes, you can also take it as a dietary supplement by adding it to hot water and drink it cold or warm.
- Beneficial for the Blood: Blackstrap Molasses is also beneficial for people who are suffered from anemia. Anemia is the condition in which your body doesn’t have enough red blood cells and you often feel weak and tired. One of the major types of anemia is caused due to lack of iron in the diet and you know that blackstrap molasses are a rich source of iron so the addition of this thick mixture to your diet helps you to fight against anemia. The recommended dose of blackstrap molasses is 5 tablespoons a day which are enough to contain 95 percent of your daily allowance of iron. You can also take it as a dietary supplement by adding the thick mixture of blackstrap molasses in a hot water.
- Laxative Qualities of Blackstrap: Blackstrap molasses is a natural stool softener so it is beneficial to improve the quality and regularity of your bowel movements.
- Rich Source of Potassium: When it comes to potassium bananas may be the king but this thick mixture of blackstrap molasses also contains a healthy amount of potassium. Add a small amount of blackstrap molasses in your daily diet in order to increase the healthy amount of potassium in your body. You can use it as basting glaze on turkey, chicken or on other meats and you can also mix this thick mixture with the baked beans. A spoonful of blackstrap molasses in your diet can give you a quick boost.
- High in Iron: Our body needs a good amount of iron to carry oxygen to the blood cells and as mentioned above that blackstrap molasses is a rich source of iron so take 2 tablespoons of this thick blackstrap daily that contains 13.2 percent of our RDI of iron. Consuming just 1 or 2 tablespoons of blackstrap molasses per day will greatly benefit people who are anemic and are also beneficial for pregnant women.
- Additional Mineral Content of Blackstrap: The consumption of two tablespoons of blackstrap molasses also contains lots of mineral content. It contain 18 percent of our RDI of manganese which is beneficial to produce more energy from carbohydrates and proteins, 5 percent of our RDI of Vitamin B6 which is beneficial for skin development and aids brain, 9.7 percent of our RDI of Potassium that plays a vital role in muscle contraction and nerve transmission and 3.4 percent of our RDI of Selenium which is an important antioxidant.
Blackstrap Molasses as a Health Supplement
Taking Blackstrap molasses as a health supplement is extremely healthy as you now know how beneficial it is for our body. The best way to take blackstrap molasses is to take a cup of water and boil it, then add 1 to 2 tablespoons of this mixture into the boiling water and when the water has cooled, drink it through a straw. Make a habit of drinking this blackstrap as a health supplement daily and try to take this mixture in the morning when your body needs the most energy.
In the end, another healthy tip while buying the blackstrap molasses is that purchases the one which is unsulfured and organic. Two most well known and reputable brands of blackstrap molasses in the United States are Brer Rabbit Molasses and Grandma’s Molasses. These only two brands can sell the un-sulfured and natural blackstrap molasses and you can easily found these good brands in any healthy food stores.
The post Healthy Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses appeared first on Natural Remedy Ideas.
This post first appeared on Natural Remedy Ideas-Natural Home Remedies For Life, please read the originial post: here