Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Poison Sumac Rash:Symptoms,Stages and Treatment

Poison sumac, an invasive shrub that grows wild in the Eastern United States, is highly toxic. Its leaves, stems, and berries are all poisonous. Contact with skin can cause redness, itching, swelling, and blisters. This condition is known as Poison Sumac Rash.

In rare cases, prolonged exposure can lead to skin discoloration and scarring. This is because Poison sumac leaves, stems, and roots contain urushiol. Urushiol is also found in poison ivy, oak, and cashew trees, so contact with these plants will also cause an allergic reaction.

When you come into contact with these plants, your immune system responds by creating antibodies to fight the “invaders” in your skin. They can cause the red, itchy Rash that commonly appears in visible spots such as your arms and legs. Some people may also experience swelling, blistering, and a burning sensation.

The poison sumac rash often goes away in a few days without treatment. However, in some cases, this condition may persist for a long time.This article will discuss poison sumac rash symptoms, stages, and treatment.

poison sumac rash
Poison Sumac Rash: Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment

How to Identify Poison Sumac?

The best way to identify poison sumac is by its leaves. Leaves are usually about two inches long, growing in clusters about one inch wide.

They can be either green or reddish-purple and have white veins running along the middle of each leaf. If you come across a plant that matches the description above, it is always best to err on caution and treat it like poison sumac.

How to Identify Poison Sumac
How to Identify Poison Sumac

Symptoms of Poison Sumac Rash

The rash from poison sumac will usually appear within 1–5 days of contact with the plant and lasts about 2–4 weeks.

The most common symptoms of poison sumac rash are red bumps that itch intensely. The bumps are usually about the size of a quarter or smaller. They may grow to the size of a silver dollar.

In addition, the rash will often have small bumps that look like tiny white pimples. These bumps are clusters of seeds from the poison sumac plant. It may occasionally crack and ooze, particularly when you first see it. You may feel pain, especially when the bumps become large.

Stages of poison sumac rash

The first sign of a poison sumac rash may look like small bumps or red spots on your skin. Within a few days, they turn into blisters that fill with fluid.

Over the next few days, the blisters dry up and fall off your skin, leaving small scars. The rash can last up to a few months, and treatment can help reduce its severity and speed up the healing process.

How to treat a poison sumac rash fast?

There are many ways to treat poison sumac rash; the following 7 are the most commonly used.

1. Washing for poison sumac rash

The rash will go away on its own, but you can speed up the process by washing it with warm water and gentle soap. Avoid using anything scented, perfumed, or likely to irritate your skin.

You can also apply a moisturizing lotion or cream to help soothe the rash and speed up the healing process. These products can help prevent an allergic reaction.

If the rash becomes very itchy, you can also try taking an anti-itching medication. If you avoid itching the rash, it should go away completely within 7–10 days.

2. Oatmeal

Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe the irritation of the urushiol oil and relieve the swelling.

You’ll need – 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats – 2 cups water – 1 teaspoon honey – 1 tablespoon almond oil or coconut oil – 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed.

How to use: In a small saucepan, combine the oats, water, and honey. Over low heat, bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely. Add the oil and flaxseed and mix well. Spread the oatmeal mixture on your skin to help reduce the itching and swelling of the rash. Continue using this oatmeal for at least 3 days to improve the appearance of your skin.

3. Aloe vera

Aloe vera gel’s anti-inflammatory and skin healing properties are an excellent remedy for poison sumac rash and other skin irritations. It is a potent anti-inflammatory agent that has a cooling effect on the skin when applied topically.

Aloe vera also contains salicylic acid, a chemical that exfoliates the skin, which makes it an effective remedy for rash. It is also widely used to treat many skin conditions, including psoriasis, eczema, and dry skin.

You can also try aloe vera gel as a natural remedy for poison ivy to get instant relief from the itching and burning sensation. Aloe vera is widely used for its skin benefits, and it is especially beneficial for sensitive skin.

First, extract the gel from a fresh aloe vera plant and apply this gel to the affected area. Wait for 5-10 minutes to allow it to dry. Repeat this process until the burning, itching, and swelling disappear.

4. Cold compress for poison sumac rash

The poison sumac rash usually goes away on its own, but you can speed up the process by applying cold compresses. This will reduce the itching and swelling. In addition, a cold compress can help minimize the spread of the urushiol oil.

Wrap an ice pack with a cloth and apply it to the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat this process several times a day until the itching, swelling, and burning subsides.

5. Baking Soda

Baking soda has anti-inflammatory properties that can help with the itching and irritation caused by a poison sumac sting. For those who have been stung by poison sumac, baking soda is an effective treatment.

Mixing a bit of baking soda into the water can create a paste that can be applied to the rash to ease the itching. Alternatively, you can also use baking soda as a scrub to exfoliate your skin, which will help reduce the itching.

What to do:

For a skin scrub: Mix a small amount of baking soda into some water to form a paste. Apply the paste to your skin and scrub for a couple of minutes to exfoliate your skin. Rinse with clean water.

For itching: Create a paste by mixing some baking soda with water (as above). Apply the paste to the rash and leave it on for about 20 minutes. Rinse with clean water.

Note that baking soda is not recommended for those with sensitive skin.

6. Cucumber

If you do get stuck or scratched by poison sumac plants, you can try treating the rash with cucumber. The coolness and the high water content of cucumber will help reduce the itching and swelling of the rash.

You can also try dabbing the rash with a bit of honey, which has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce itching. Stay hydrated and keep the area clean to prevent the rash from spreading. If the rash gets worse or you have concerns, you should see a doctor.

7. Take medications

There are several medications that your doctor may recommend for treating a poison sumac rash. Common medications prescribed to treat poison sumac rash are antihistamines (to reduce itching), pain medications (to ease discomfort), antibiotics (to prevent infection), and steroids (to reduce the swelling and itching of the rash).

In most cases, these medications are safe to use during pregnancy. However, it’s essential to consult your doctor before taking any medicines.

How to prevent a poison sumac rash?

Avoiding a rash from poison ivy, oak, and sumac is easy. Avoid contact with the leaves of these plants.

  • Wear long sleeves and pants when you are outside, and ensure that your clothes don’t have any holes.
  • Stay on trails when exploring nature.
  • Stay away from trees or shrubs with a “3-leaf clover” shape.
  • Remove shoes outside to avoid bringing seeds into the house.
  • Avoid touching the berries of the poison ivy plant.
  • Keep an eye on your pets as well. Pets can easily be exposed to poison ivy and poison oak, so be sure to keep them away from them as well.

When to see a doctor

In most cases, poison sumac causes a mild rash that is easily treated. If you have a more severe reaction to poison sumac, seek medical treatment immediately. Symptoms of a severe allergic reaction may include difficulty breathing, dizziness, and a feeling of weakness. In addition, You should see a doctor if your rash doesn’t get better within a couple of weeks or if the rash spreads to other parts of your body.

The post Poison Sumac Rash:Symptoms,Stages and Treatment appeared first on Natural Remedy Ideas.



This post first appeared on Natural Remedy Ideas-Natural Home Remedies For Life, please read the originial post: here

Share the post

Poison Sumac Rash:Symptoms,Stages and Treatment

×

Subscribe to Natural Remedy Ideas-natural Home Remedies For Life

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription

×