Get Even More Visitors To Your Blog, Upgrade To A Business Listing >>

Shifting to a New City? Here’s How to Register Your Vehicle in a Different State!

Relocation is nothing short of an adventure. While you can pack all your belongings in boxes, moving a Vehicle is a different story because unlike the other items, you need a ‘No Objection Certificate’ and a registration certificate if you are moving to a different state.

Here are the rules to follow in case you are moving your vehicle from one state to another-

1. Apply for a NOC:

Source: Wikimedia Commons.

The first step to re-register your vehicle in a new state is to obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the state your vehicle is registered in. Say you bought your vehicle in Pune and are now moving to Bengaluru, you need to obtain a NOC from the Pune RTO “to the effect that the registering authority has no objection for assigning a new registration mark to the vehicle or, as the case may be, for entering the particulars of the transfer of ownership in the certificate of registration.”

The registering authority needs a report from the police stating that no case of theft of the motor vehicle has either been registered or is pending. It needs to verify that no amount in relation to the vehicle is due, including the government Road Tax (which you pay when you buy the vehicle).

In the case that you have bought your car or bike with a Bank Hypothecation, you will also need a bank NOC.

2. Other documents:

Once you receive the NOC, you need to compile other documents to ensure the smooth re-registration of your vehicle in the state you are shifting in. These documents include the original documents of the vehicle smart card, Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate and insurance policy. You will also require the original invoice of the vehicle since the lifetime road tax you’ll pay when you re-register will be calculated will be based on this.

3. Re-register in the new state:

Your NOC will have a validity date (depending on the state you are moving to) and you will need to re-register in the state you have migrated to, within that time period.

Here, you need to pay the applicable road tax (changes from state to state) and apply for registration. You will also have to submit the above documents to help with your registration, along with those asked by the RTO.

You need to fill two forms—one of re-registration and another of an address change. In the case that your vehicle is a second-hand car/ bike, you need to file additional forms to confirm ownership.

You may also like: Shifting to New City? Govt. To Make Inter-State Vehicle Transfer Cheaper!

If you are moving to New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Hyderabad or Chennai—6 of the busiest cities in India—here are the road tax slabs

Source: Pune Traffic Police/ Facebook.

1. To re-register your two-wheeler in Delhi, click on the link here.
2. If you are shifting to Maharashtra, read about the tax slabs here.
3. Two wheelers in West Bengal will follow these tax slabs.
4. For Karnataka, check out the link here.
5. To re-register your two-wheeler in Telangana, click here.
6. For registrations in Tamil Nadu, check out the link here.

Road tax for a car with individual registration:

(Edited by Gayatri Mishra)

Like this story? Or have something to share?
Write to us: [email protected]
Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.

Share the post

Shifting to a New City? Here’s How to Register Your Vehicle in a Different State!


Subscribe to I Don’t Smoke Or Drink, I Eat Well & Exercise. How Did I Still Get Cancer? An Oncologist Answers.

Get updates delivered right to your inbox!

Thank you for your subscription