Deemed the ‘mother of all metro stations’, and under construction by Afcons Infrastructure, the three-decked metro station is expected to open in April 2018, reports the Times of India.
Located below the ever-buzzing Poonamallee High Road, the Central Metro Station will be one of two metro stations, (apart from Alandur metro station) where Corridor I (Airport–Washermanpet) will intersect with Corridor II (Chennai Central–St Thomas Mount) via Egmore and CMBT.
Here are five things to know about Chennai’s biggest upcoming 28m-deep underground station:
1. The Central metro station will be equipped with over 62 staircases, 36 escalators and 15 elevators. If you think there’s a chance you might lose your way in the humongous maze-like space, signboards with the directions leading to your destination will come to your rescue and guide you.
2. Estimated to be double the size of an average underground station in the city, the station will have 50,000 sqft dedicated to food and entertainment at the ticketing level. So, no longer will waiting at a metro station be a dull affair. You will have all the avenues to fulfil your gastronomic and entertainment delights.
3. The station will be equipped with over 14 ticket counters staffed by uniformed Chennai Metro Rail personnel to help you use the ticket-vending machine.
4. With two island platforms between the tracks built on two levels, the metro station will be equipped with double-size platforms.
5. The metro station will also have over five entry-exit points including the one in front of Central Railway Station, Moore Market Complex and Park Station to allow the uncluttered flow of all passengers freely in and out of the metro station.
Read more: Here’s How The Railways Plans to Prevent Another Elphinstone-Like Tragedy
Speaking to the Times of India, former metro rail director, R Ramanathan, expressed how the CMRL teams visited a few of the oldest and busiest metro facilities across Singapore, Hong Kong and Europe. He also said that the high standard of the architecture of the upcoming station could outdo subways in London and New York.
“In terms of interiors, signalling and safety systems, Central Metro will be more modern than those in Europe which are several decades old….The station is bigger than Rajiv Chowk in Delhi,” he said.
Like this story? Or have something to share?
Write to us: [email protected]
Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
NEW: Click here to get positive news on WhatsApp!
This post first appeared on I Don’t Smoke Or Drink, I Eat Well & Exercise. How Did I Still Get Cancer? An Oncologist Answers., please read the originial post: here