If you’ve been thinking of starting a Business or have already started a business, one of the main things you’ve probably been told, or have seen mentioned if you’ve looked for tips, is the importance of having a Marketing strategy to help advertise your business and products and to help your business grow. For many years, that has been true. Having a detailed plan for the ways you want to market your brand and your products, a plan for how you will reach out to customers and potential customers has been vitally important in helping a business survive. When it comes to making a marketing strategy, there are so many choices and decisions to make, it can sometimes be confusing.
Most of the usual tactics have been useful for marketing for a long time, but many people are beginning to think that many of them are a bit overrated. Social Media has been touted as one of the top ways for businesses to market themselves. There’s no denying it’s a great way to reach people, but as a means for advertising with promoted posts and such, it’s probably not all that great, nor does social media beat out e-mail marketing as a means for reaching people. Outbound marketing, pay-per-click advertising (if not optimized properly), and traditional paid advertising are all also being seen as overrated. Content marketing and blogging, on the other hand, are generally still seen as useful. Even the idea of a detailed marketing strategy itself is beginning to be considered overrated.
With many of the usual marketing ideas seemingly being overrated or even obsolete, it’s time to start thinking of and experimenting with new ways of marketing. There have been some experimental marketing efforts going on for a while, though it hasn’t gotten as much mention as traditional tactics continue to do. However, one experimental approach has begun making inroads the last few years, and it’s a great option for people who want to try new and less traditional marketing techniques. It’s popular enough that even some large businesses are using some of its techniques, even though it was created with startups and small businesses in mind. What approach is this? It is a technique called growth hacking.
What is growth hacking? It is a method of marketing that uses innovative, creative, low-cost tactics to reach as many people as possible and garner more customers. This is things like e-mail, social media, viral marketing, and targeted advertising. The strategies it generally uses are typically simple and easy strategies that many people can do on their own if they’re computer literate and have some time to spare. What sorts of strategies are these? A few are:
1. Opt-in/Sign-up forms. These are a great way to increase your customer base.
2. Do things that don’t scale, like:
- Reach out to the press.
- E-mail customers and potential customers, personally. Include your business info [contact, location, website, social media] in your signature.
- Give free access to your product in exchange for promotion.
- Give free items or discounts to customers in exchange for word of mouth promotion.
- Give great customer service.
3. Use social media to reach customers and potential customers and engage with them.
4. Fake it. Make yourself appear larger than your small business really is.
5. Share links to your business. Include it in blogs and other content. Share it on social media. Use link sharing apps. Use shortened trackable linked to pinpoint your traffic hub and focus a majority of your effort there.
6. Online communities. Take part in them to expand your reach. Make an effort with engagement. Be a person. Do not be a robot.
7. Referrals. Offer a great deal to customers for referring a friend, and offer the referred person a deal as well. Build your customer loyalty.
Those are just a few growth hacking ideas. There are much more, but if you use these you’ll be well on your way to using less traditional marketing methods and may even be able to come up with new ideas yourself. You may be the business owner but you have to think like both a potential and current customer. Go where your customers are. Give them what they want. Strive to creatively show them what they don’t know they need: your product.
Stand out from the crowd and aggressively grow your business with Aggressive Growth Marketing. The Growth Marketing Agency that provides Growth Hacking Marketing, Social Media, Guest Blogging, Email Marketing, and growth focused Digital Marketing Agency services. Call 020 7692 8960 to discuss your needs today.